Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo 4.0l

FrankenBird

my wife just had the entire fuel system replaced in her jeep ( paid for by her employer,hehe) ..
its a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo with the 4.0l sport engine 160K...its always had a slight lifter tick and now this year now that its cold out again the lfter tick is louder than ever. runs great and no smoke and good compression and everything..
can i help reduce the noise by using heavy weight oil? or the rite grade oil but sub in 2 quarts of motor honey for oll?
once i get my bird back im gonna have her drive it for a few days while i pop off the 4.0's valve cover and check stuff out in it..
any other tips to cure lifter tick on this engine
/ its ticking as loud as when my brother vr4 blew up..it does get quieter as it warms up but cold, wholly ~~~~ it tick away and as it revs they get LOUDER..

Make sure the oil filter has an anti-drain back valve that actually works.

But if it's collapsed a lifter or flattened lobe, nothing short of at least a top-end o'haul will help. Of course earplugs or a loud stereo might be less costly.

lol, thats the main use for the system in my Tbird, so i dont hear a clunk from every bump i hit..stoopid strut mount bushings, i think every mn12 ive had to replace them and upper balljoints.

If the noise is worse when cold and goes away when hot, then a heavier oil is going to make it worse. I would try running synthetic oil, 5w30 or 0w30 if you can get it, plus a good quality filter, and see if the noise goes away or gets any better.

I had a Mercury Sable with the 3.8L that had a sticky lifter or two when I got it. When cold, it would go POK POK POK until it warmed up. Someone told me to try adding a quart of ATF to the oil and let it run until hot. Not to beat on it, but driving it a little while was ok. Sure enough, it freed it up. I have heard of other oil additives that work as well. The only thing I have tried is the ATF, and as I said, it did work in that case. Now, if you have excessive clearances, no additive will help.

i use ATF as fuel system/injector cleaner..
when i change the oild im going to try this stuff called motor flush, ive had luck with it befor but im pretty shur ive tried it on this jeep befor but i dont remember for shur so im going to give it a try again.
can i damage the motor by using to heavy weight of oil.?

I had a 85 Mercury Grand Marque about 15 years ago that had a slugged up motor with a pretty loud lifter tick. I put 5 quarts of diesel fuel in the crank case (With no oil) and ran it at idle for a bit then drained it and refilled with oil. Completely fixed the lifter tick. Plus a bunch of nasty crap came out when I drained the diesel fuel.

well, i used motor flush and let it idle for 10min and gave it slight revs..
i then used 6cyl formula of engine restore, 1qt of motor honey and 20/40 weight oil...jeep sounds a bit better and the lifter tick i could barely hear. the real; test will be tomorrow on a cold start, thats when its the worst.
lol,i also made a pvc intake for the jeep too now..i had an extra filter laying around so i bought 5 bucks worth of pipe and made a nice cai for it..ille post a video of it tomorrow on a cold start. you guys let me know what you think..maby i should just get a loaded head and have my buddy put it in..

Back