Thread: Continuous Memory Code 19

Continuous Memory Code 19

Like the title says, I am working on a 1990 SC that keeps giving me the Continuous memory code 19.
    The car starts and idles fine but as it begins to warm up the idle starts to surge up and down, dies and then the code shows up.

What I have done so far.

Installed a remanufactured crankshaft/camshaft wiring harness from Spinning Wheels.
    I tested the harness per the EVTM and the old harness and it is good.

Installed the correct and known good EEC, code COS

New Motorcraft coil and Taylor spark plug wires installed.

Replaced the DIS module with a known good Motorcraft DIS from my other 1990 using the correct heat sink material.

Replaced the camshaft sensor with a new Motorcraft camshaft sensor.

I am waiting on a Motorcraft crankshaft sensor. The crankshaft sensor on the car right now is a BWD replacement.

Is there anything else I have missed or should be looking for?
    Jim, SCCoA Member#: 2789

"cuz Jim has mad skillz, yo!" Melon.
    "You guys crack me up talking about nitrous when you don't even know if you can keep it together on gasoline." XR7 Dave
    "I didn't break it, I found it's weakness."

19 C could be:
    - DIS
    - harness
    - ground(s)
    - low volts

I had to go thru 3 'known good' DISs one time to find one that actually worked.

Remember to install all the bolts when swapping the DIS...only one of them actually grounds it.

Did you check/replace the ground cable from the right side motor mount to the body? Did you check the gang grounds (both sets) on the header panel? Is the ground wire for the EEC in place/reliable near the neg. battery terminal to the header?

Has the accy. bracket the DIS sits on been recently removed and painted?

What are the volts at the hot wire in the harness when the engine is running/dies?

Seen this DIS troubleshooting tree?

http://mnharms.com/tutorials/disnostart/

The DIS module came off my other 90 SC and it has been running fine for the 4 years I have had it.
    All of the bolts were in place on the DIS when I installed it.
    Yes, I have seen and used that troubleshooting tree and used it.

I went out and checked all the grounds and the ground strap on the passenger side of the block, all good.

I will be removing the jackshaft bracket to check the mounting points.
    Once it is back together I will measure the voltage on the hot wire while it is running.

"You guys crack me up talking about nitrous when you don't even know if you can keep it together on gasoline." XR7 Dave

Sounds like a tuning issue. I'm sure you have cleared the memory codes already so it shouldn't be coming back each time, but either way it sounds like a tuning issue. Generate a datalog of the failure.

Crank sensors fail, but when they do the engine typically simply shuts off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

I had my 89 with similar issue & replaced the whole PCM & code be gone.
    "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

Major General Ferdinand Foch, 1911

Short Update:

Removed the jackshaft bracket and the bracket for the crankshaft sensor.
    Mounting surfaces on the jackshaft bracket and block were clean.
    Found paint on the block where the crankshaft sensor mounts so that will be cleaned before installing the new crankshaft sensor.

I'd be more worried about the jackshaft/accy. bracket. Not sure the other one matters, but might still be worth a try, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TSC89 View Post
    Like the title says, I am working on a 1990 SC that keeps giving me the Continuous memory code 19.
    The car starts and idles fine but as it begins to warm up the idle starts to surge up and down, dies and then the code shows up.
    From the information I can find, Code 19 is not for EEC memory power ... on an SC. On a base model Thunderbird, without DIS, 19 means EEC memory power. On an SC (or any car with DIS, such as a SHO), Code 19 is for "Distributorless Ignition Cylinder identification circuit failure (3.8L SC only)".

http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html

Some other sites indicate, that for some Ford vehicles, a stored Code 19 means what is listed above, but a Code 19 thrown when running means "Erratic idle during test (reset throttle & retest)". I would normally skip over this, since I didn't see it specifically indicated for a Thunderbird SC, but the fact that the Code 19 pops up after the idle goes erratic makes me think this might apply here.

Have you tried "helping" the car idle with the throttle?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Have you checked the MAF sensor for contamination?
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post

Have you tried "helping" the car idle with the throttle?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Have you checked the MAF sensor for contamination?

1. Yes, "helped" the car idle but it would still eventually die and have the code.

2. Yes, checked for vacuum leaks but found none.

3. No, I have not looked at the MAF sensor for contamination but will look at it.

I have based all my troubleshooting off what little information I could find here.

At this point it would probably be best to take the DIS in and have it tested. Also purchase another DIS from a store and use that after they have tested it as well. Compare and if it's the DIS you have a replacement and if not return it.
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

A couple of other ideas:

- Car can run without the cam sensor, though starting can take a few tries. Might try unplugging it before start to see if it changes anything. This is where a CID code would normally come from, I believe.

- If you had only listed the symptoms and never mentioned any codes, I would actually not have been thinking electronics. I would have been thinking fuel pump (or vacuum, which you checked). Have you tested the fuel pressure?

- Even if not a vacuum leak, you can have an unmetered air leak from the PCV fresh air hose on the underside of the intake tube. That one can easily fall out, as it is not clamped.

- A very common mistake when replacing plug wires is to get 5 and 6 mixed up at the coil pack. The proper positions from the factory look backwards. Are you sure of their positions?

- I am leaning away from DIS because the ones that failed on me were very much on-off - not running poorly, more like barely running at all.

- The BAP sensor can actually go bad on these cars, though it is a little more rare. This can be tested with a frequency reading multimeter.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Update.

Reassembled everything and still had the code.

Bought a new DIS module, still had the code.

Installed a third different computer and finally, no code 19.

Car is running great and learning. Just a few things to tweak on the tune now.