17" Front Runner Tires-Which size?

What's your setup? I'm behind these days.

Nothing at the moment... Once kids come into the picture, all the fun projects get put aside :rolleyes:. The plan was to do a 4.4L via a custom billet crank, topped off with a TVS blower. The car will be track only, but not a complete gutted race car. Clean and stock appearance are the goals.

As for the platform, I picked up Mike8675309's old '93 as a shell to replace my original. It's in the process of undergoing a complete rebuild and resto with plans for a solid axle, 10pt cage, tubular front, etc etc. Life has finally quieted down over the last few years such that I've begun assembling all the parts that I've been stock piling.

Overall plan is to build the chassis, suspension, roll cage, brakes, etc first, then get the car painted. I'll temporarily install the old drive-train just so that I can shake the car down without the worry of debugging a chassis, suspension, wiring, engine, etc. all at the same time. My wallet and my wife will dictate how realistic this plan is.:p

I have learned quickly that building something like this, with halfway decent parts isn't cheap...and I already had most of it from my old car. As I've gotten older, I've learned to take more enjoyment in the hobby, so I'm not under any timeline. As long as I can finish it before Dave retires...I'll be good to go ;)

follow up question...

for those running 17" wheels for front runners....what width and BS is the wheel?

I'm debating between a 17 x 4.5 in a 2.25" B.S. and a 1.75" B.S. Doing some initial mock-ups with my space-saver spares, it looks like a 4.5" wide wheel with a 2.25" B.S. would look best.

Great to hear feedback from those who run something similar.

Mine look to be 5" with a BS of 2.75-3".

I'm diggin the tucked look these days, like the mini spares give you.

I'm diggin the tucked look these days, like the mini spares give you.

I measure the spares to be 4" wide with a 4" backspace. I mocked up the stock spares, with 2" spacers, essentially giving a result of a 2" backspace. Here is the result:

20160313_150901_zpsvcku8pfv.jpg

20160313_150841_zpsbdlqudfc.jpg

Now I figure if I go with a 2.25" backspace on a 4.5" wheel, this will essentially be what you see in the picture, but bumped outward an additional .25" (more backspace than mockup but also a wider wheel). Likewise, a 1.75 backspace would be bumped out an additional .75" from the picture.

I think the 2.25" backspace will be good if I can get it in the style I want, otherwise I'll have to settle for the more common 1.75" backspace.

Last edited:
Back