Clamp removal

92stockbird

Hi guys,

I would like to replace the INNER tie rods on my 92 SC. I' am being held up by the clamps for the bellows.
Does anyone know how to remove these clamps?
They are in a bear of A spot.

Thank you,
Jim JOHN 3:16

Hi guys,

I would like to replace the INNER tie rods on my 92 SC. I' am being held up by the clamps for the bellows.
Does anyone know how to remove these clamps?
They are in a bear of A spot.

Thank you,
Jim JOHN 3:16

If I recall they are a Phillips head screw...Wasn't that bad to do on my '89 last summer.

-Tim

In that case, consider loosening the pair of large bolts that hold the rack to the crossmember/sub-frame so you can move it away, and then clipping them off. Make sure you have new boots with proper clamps.

In that case, consider loosening the pair of large bolts that hold the rack to the crossmember/sub-frame so you can move it away, and then clipping them off. Make sure you have new boots with proper clamps.

I was hoping you might suggest a tool. Thank you, KMT, and Tim for the advice.

Do yourself a big favor....go to a Ford dealer and buy the boots for an '04 Mustang....They are a perfect fit and they come with the proper clamps,and the boots are made of a hardened plastic,not rubber...All of the aftermarket boots don't last but a couple of years,they tear and fall apart...however you will need a special crimping tool to install the Ford clamps

I was hoping you might suggest a tool.

Those clamps are designed for installation at the rack factory with a special crimping tool, for one time use...most times when the boots are replaced/serviced the rack is off the car or just replaced outright with boots already installed. The actual seals are inside and the boots are just a backup to keep major dirt, etc. outside. If the inner seals are shot, the rack might be worn as well, so if you're replacing the boots to deal with fluid loss, I'd consider a fresh rack instead. If the boots are in decent shape, they might be ok to leave in place, especially if you're having issues getting them off, etc.. If it were me and I was so far in that I was doing the inner joints, I'd just replace the rack. How many miles on the car?

There are any number of cutters that will do the job, from mini-bolt cutters to long handle dikes to rotary cutting discs. Same thing you'd use to cut heavy wire, basically. You could split them with a small sharp chisel, but one deep cut and you'd risk marking up the sealing surface. Same if you use a cutoff wheel, so be careful not matter what the method.

But again, the more room you have to work, the more tools you can pick from to work with, which is why I suggested dropping the rack a bit. If you use a cutoff wheel, it's better to cut the raised crimp so you stay off the sealing surface. Just cut thru so you can spring the clip open and then remove it.

Those clamps are designed for installation at the rack factory with a special crimping tool, for one time use...most times when the boots are replaced/serviced the rack is off the car or just replaced outright with boots already installed. The actual seals are inside and the boots are just a backup to keep major dirt, etc. outside. If the inner seals are shot, the rack might be worn as well, so if you're replacing the boots to deal with fluid loss, I'd consider a fresh rack instead. If the boots are in decent shape, they might be ok to leave in place, especially if you're having issues getting them off, etc.. If it were me and I was so far in that I was doing the inner joints, I'd just replace the rack. How many miles on the car?

There are any number of cutters that will do the job, from mini-bolt cutters to long handle dikes to rotary cutting discs. Same thing you'd use to cut heavy wire, basically. You could split them with a small sharp chisel, but one deep cut and you'd risk marking up the sealing surface. Same if you use a cutoff wheel, so be careful not matter what the method.

But again, the more room you have to work, the more tools you can pick from to work with, which is why I suggested dropping the rack a bit. If you use a cutoff wheel, it's better to cut the raised crimp so you stay off the sealing surface. Just cut thru so you can spring the clip open and then remove it.

There are no leaks. I have no idea what has been done to this car, as I have no receipts except for what I have bought/done. The boots look new. The only repair is tie rod replacement.
Thank you for all of the help. When my brother and I do this, I will update.
Have a BLESSED RESSURECTION DAY!

Back