Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low water temp?

This is an old thread, but FYI...there is likely a lower-than stock thermostat installed. A 180F T-stat will usually show midway between the cold blue zone and "NORM"....a 160F will show very close to the cold blue zone.

You should replace it with a factory-temperature t-stat so that the fan settings match the thermostat opening/closing (192F-197F). As little as the radiator is, the cooling system needs to work together...t-stat's trying to be Johnny Hero will cause the car to overheat if the conditions are right.

I had an SC I bought in TX with a 160F t-stat that would run cool for awhile, then get too hot. Changing the t-stat helped a good deal by keeping it stable in the normal zone while moving at least....after we got home, I found that the stock fan motor and blades had been replaced by a pretty, "high-performance" aftermarket fan in the factory housing....with blades that were substanially smaller than stock. After replacing this too, the cool temperature stayed at normal.

Simply replacing the t-stat in these cars with hopes of reducing the coolant temperature will not be successful, unless the air is always very cool where you drive...the fan will not turn on until 200-something degrees and the thermostat will have already and will remain wide-open until the radiator can support the desired temperature....fan will cycle on and off relatively rapidly too, if you're in traffic.
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    The one thing I've noticed is the water temp never gets much above the low mark.
    My Anny did that when I got it back in 2008 - turned out the push-on connector at the temp sender was both loose and corroded. Cleaned it and the stem, squeezed it down a bit, added a bit of connector grease, pressed it back on and the temp gauge started reacting normally. Been fine since.

Ken

There is also a TSB on the older one-wire sending units used for the gauges failing and reading LOW.

Specifically, TSB 95-13-2 if you have access to them.

I have a copy of the text at http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...795#post914795 .

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    This is an old thread, but FYI...there is likely a lower-than stock thermostat installed. A 180F T-stat will usually show midway between the cold blue zone and "NORM"....a 160F will show very close to the cold blue zone.

You should replace it with a factory-temperature t-stat so that the fan settings match the thermostat opening/closing (192F-197F). As little as the radiator is, the cooling system needs to work together...t-stat's trying to be Johnny Hero will cause the car to overheat if the conditions are right.

I had an SC I bought in TX with a 160F t-stat that would run cool for awhile, then get too hot. Changing the t-stat helped a good deal by keeping it stable in the normal zone while moving at least....after we got home, I found that the stock fan motor and blades had been replaced by a pretty, "high-performance" aftermarket fan in the factory housing....with blades that were substanially smaller than stock. After replacing this too, the cool temperature stayed at normal.

Simply replacing the t-stat in these cars with hopes of reducing the coolant temperature will not be successful, unless the air is always very cool where you drive...the fan will not turn on until 200-something degrees and the thermostat will have already and will remain wide-open until the radiator can support the desired temperature....fan will cycle on and off relatively rapidly too, if you're in traffic.
    I wonder if this explains why I overheat unless I turn ON my AC/heater. I admit to being lazy in terms of fan troubleshooting but I have done a T-stat in the last few years..... hrm.