Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 1989 SC needs to run mid 12s

More windsor fun, hope to be done this summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wowser ! Is that going in your SC or a Mustang ?

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

That is going in the Mustang with a Powerglide and Holley Dominator fuel injection.

I'd love to put the Holley system on the T-bird, I have it on a 1994 Cobra already, it is fantastic.

It looks like it is time to get the old Tbird out of hibernation.

We are going to two events in the next three months. First we'll be terrorizing Buick Grand Nationals and LS powered vehicles at the Buick versus Ford Shootout in Noble, OK on October 19th. Then we'll be driving out to Tucson for Roadkill's zip tie drags on January 17-18th to participate in the Hooptie Challenge.

We are going to do a few things to add more heat under the hood and get us past that 104 mph barrier that we seemed to be up against in the last couple of outings. I have managed to secure a double intercooler, extrude honed intercooler tubes, raised blower top, 85mm throttle body and a 90mm mass air. Lastly, we'll be installing a Kirkey road race style containment seat for a little more safety. This will be done before the October 19th race.

We have already reworked the fuel system with a new Weldon pump and PTFE lined braided hose that is E85 friendly.

I am working on a list of second round improvements that we will be doing before the January race. We are going to convert to fully manual brakes using a Crown Vic master cylinder, replace the oil pump and add some real gauges to the car.

Pictures to follow.

I think at some point you may find a hood helps you get some more MPH as you are not so wind resistant without it. If you can't fit a stock hood you might be able to find someone selling a fiberglass cowl or cobra r hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Long View Post
    I think at some point you may find a hood helps you get some more MPH as you are not so wind resistant without it. If you can't fit a stock hood you might be able to find someone selling a fiberglass cowl or cobra r hood.
    I agree completely, I have been watching sale ads for a used hood for a while. I would even take one with a corner knocked off of it. We may take the stock hood and remove the whole underside to get it down to a thin sheet of metal, then we can pin it on. i am not sure if that is possible but we can try since we don't care about paint. We also have not gutted the underside of the decklid but that is coming at some point.

Beautiful windsor. Love the belt drive, wish we had one for the 3.8/4.2.
    Last edited by jb351; 10-04-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    I agree completely, I have been watching sale ads for a used hood for a while. I would even take one with a corner knocked off of it. We may take the stock hood and remove the whole underside to get it down to a thin sheet of metal, then we can pin it on. i am not sure if that is possible but we can try since we don't care about paint. We also have not gutted the underside of the decklid but that is coming at some point.
    If you're out near southern Indiana for anything, let me know. I'll donate a hood for your project!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | '17 Spectator | '18 Freeze-Plug Champ
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, Alky-Inj 387rwhp, 438rwtq (new motor) Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph (old motor)
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    If you're out near southern Indiana for anything, let me know. I'll donate a hood for your project!
    Actually I am going to be, I am driving up to Indy in early December for the PRI show. I am driving because I need to visit a friend in Peoria, IL on the way back to get a set of wheels and tires for the mustang. What kind of hood do you have?

Actually I am going to be, I am driving up to Indy in early December for the PRI show. I am driving because I need to visit a friend in Peoria, IL on the way back to get a set of wheels and tires for the mustang. What kind of hood do you have?
    I've got a red one off a 93 that you can have...nothing pretty. Clear coat is peeled and there is a spot where the paint was missing for some reason and has surface rust now. I think there may be a small dent there.

I've go a blue hood and a white hood too (both 89's), which are in a little better shape - no dents or rust on the top, but paint is shot on both of them too. If you feel like driving down this way from Indy, shoot me a message!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | '17 Spectator | '18 Freeze-Plug Champ
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, Alky-Inj 387rwhp, 438rwtq (new motor) Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph (old motor)
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    I've got a red one off a 93 that you can have...nothing pretty. Clear coat is peeled and there is a spot where the paint was missing for some reason and has surface rust now. I think there may be a small dent there.

I've go a blue hood and a white hood too (both 89's), which are in a little better shape - no dents or rust on the top, but paint is shot on both of them too. If you feel like driving down this way from Indy, shoot me a message!
    I see, I would really like to find a fiberglass one but may take you up on that.

If you r concerned about weight, a stocker with some of the support frame removed may b the way to go. Possibly with the addition of an after market cowl or one cut out of another vehicle, as another member posted here not to long ago.

I've had 3 different glass hoods, all were 2 layer. Top and finished underside bonded together. They were HEAVY. Never put on scale but they felt significantly heavier than stock.

Adam

Any fiberglass hood is way lighter than stock. I once cut a stock hood down to just the sheetmetal. It was still heavier than it looked and was super flimsy. Surely someone has a broken fiberglass hood around that you could snag cheap. You could cut out most of the underside if you wanted to lighten it. A single layer fiberglass hood is way stronger than a single layer steel one too. Maybe an option would be to gut a stock hood and then get a really wide fiberglass cowl scoop and just rivet it on. Would stiffen it up and you could cut out all the metal underneath making it much lighter in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Any fiberglass hood is way lighter than stock. I once cut a stock hood down to just the sheetmetal. It was still heavier than it looked and was super flimsy. Surely someone has a broken fiberglass hood around that you could snag cheap. You could cut out most of the underside if you wanted to lighten it. A single layer fiberglass hood is way stronger than a single layer steel one too. Maybe an option would be to gut a stock hood and then get a really wide fiberglass cowl scoop and just rivet it on. Would stiffen it up and you could cut out all the metal underneath making it much lighter in the process.
    My thoughts exactly, I just need to find one. I'd even take some ridiculous flea market one with extra scoops. What I would like to do is get it down to a single layer and just pin it on with quick latches. We have used them on the Mustang for the hood and they are very nice.

My thoughts exactly, I just need to find one. I'd even take some ridiculous flea market one with extra scoops. What I would like to do is get it down to a single layer and just pin it on with quick latches. We have used them on the Mustang for the hood and they are very nice.
    There is a fiberglass cowl hood for sale in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I am not affiliated with the seller and have no idea if he would ship it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-pa...ationFlag=true