Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1989 SC needs to run mid 12s

Forgot to add the other day, the rockers are not the same as a SBF. They're actually closer to a 385 series big block. I modified a set of Wolverine, ya, that long ago, bought out by Crane in the late 90s, pedastal mount adjustable 460 rockers. I had to grind the pedastal down about .100" on each to get the geometry right. A SBF 1.6 rocker barely hits the valve tip and would destroy the valve or guide in very very short order if they didn't skip off at high rpm.

The exhaust ports in the heads actually suck incredibly bad and flow as bad or worse than a smog 302 head. There's a near 90 degree sharp edge in the short side radius that limits flow to about 110-120 cfm. Easily can get them to 150-160 with stock valves.

I'm betting blown headgasket, cracked piston/bent rod from being hydraulic'd or it bent the rod till the crank is hitting the underside of the piston (don't ask how I know what that sounds like).

It won't shift because the blocker rings or sychro's themselves are junk. Pretty common with miles.

Didn't Dennis already do something like this with a Junkyard SC? Seems like he just did tires and a 100 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdSC View Post
    I'm betting blown headgasket, cracked piston/bent rod from being hydraulic'd or it bent the rod till the crank is hitting the underside of the piston (don't ask how I know what that sounds like).
    Found this in the grass after we started it up on Sunday. The good news is the noise is now gone.
    Name:  rod.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  129.1 KB

Wow, that rod is definetely finito!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    Having never tore into one of these cars, I was amazed at the stock exhaust which is absolutely shameful for a performance car.
    It certainly is shameful, but the thing to remember about these cars is that Ford was going for quiet power. It's why they added the air intake silencer, too.

The good news is the noise is now gone.
    And the vehicle's race weight went down in the bargain FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    And the vehicle's race weight went down in the bargain FTW.
    Yes, we shed a few pounds. Unfortunately the short block locked up right as I got her on the lift. I heard liquid pouring out of something and looked under the car to see the new open crankcase ventilation system. Luckily, I have another longblock I picked up for free on the stand already. We are going to swap it out in the next month or two.

We did get some pretty serious weight reduction done to the car. We completely cut out the front bumper and supports, removed the A/C, power steering, fender liners, most the dash, oil cooler lines, etc. The front feels downright springy with all that crap taken off. And you can actually work on the engine if you need to.

Looks like I have rounded up a whole 1995 car with complete engine so we will back in business soon. Our first race was rained out so we have more time to get this thing back together.

I am estimating that we have about 1300 lbs out of the car so far. Since these pictures were taken, I got a new plasma cutter and put it through its paces on things like the crash bars in the doors. We have also removed all of the tar sound deadener and remains of the carpet and installed a single racing seat.
    Last edited by Broncojohnny; 07-21-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Name:  Door before.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  36.4 KBName:  Door after.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  37.5 KBName:  20160530_162621.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  37.8 KB

I am estimating that we have about 1300 lbs out of the car so far.
    If you've pulled 1300# out you are doing REALLY well!!!
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

The car is now running with the 1995 engine in place. We ditched the factory tank which was possibly leaking and cut the rotted trunk floor out and installed a sumped five gallon fuel cell and a Summit 380 lph external fuel pump with braided lines. We also installed a 5" monster tach (because race car) and an Innovate wide band O2 sensor which we will use, temporarily, to make sure we aren't running lean. The stock dash cluster is zip tied to the remains of the wiring harness inside the car, as we are using the stock boost, oil pressure and temp gauges. We fabricated a step exhaust that uses the stock manifolds and lead pipes which go to 2 1/4" and then 2 1/2" diameter before bending under the car and ending just after the transmission crossmember with no mufflers.

The engine pulls 20" of vacuum on the stock gauge and appears to be happy at idle. It does have a slight stumble when going from idle to part throttle quickly. As of now we are using the stock fuel rails, the 1995 36 lb injectors and the stock 1989 mass air meter. We do not have the wideband fully wired yet but the car does not smell excessively rich at idle. Timing is completely stock, spout connector still plugged in, along with the octane plug. I still have the 94/95 mass air meter which I may try if the car is running rich, I am aware it only flows slightly more than the 89 meter. If we are lean, I plan on using a poor man's adjustable fuel regulator (vice grips on the return line) since we have quite a bit of spare pump capacity at our disposal.

Name:  trunk.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  72.4 KB
    Last edited by Broncojohnny; 07-21-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCrazy View Post
    If you've pulled 1300# out you are doing REALLY well!!!
    We will see when we weigh it. The only thing that can be pulled out of this car that hasn't at this point is the rear bumper. We have been using it to push the car onto the lift. We may pull the rear bumper cover off and at least cut the ends off of it and leave the middle of it in place so we can still use it to push. The car sits about 2-3 inches higher at each corner now thanks to the weight loss, it looks like a 4X4 truck. The next step is going to be lexan to replace the door windows and a change over to the Lincoln Mark VIII center section with lower control arms.

We are doing final wiring on the gauges this weekend and I will take some pics of the ride height and our finished setup to post.

All wiring done. We have a race this Saturday.

Name:  Cluster.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  116.1 KB
    Name:  Rear Seat Area.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  79.7 KB
    Name:  Fp gauge.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  139.5 KB

that is absolutely fantastic...

Quote Originally Posted by SCarSC View Post
    that is absolutely fantastic...
    We do nothing but top notch fabrication lol

$500 dollars huh? Does that include any parts that may have come out of storage?