Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 1989 SC needs to run mid 12s

That's a big Pro-Charger. What size motor does the mustang have ?

David

PS: I enjoyed meeting you and seeing your car at the Zip Tie drags back in September 2017 at Gateway.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by David Neibert; 02-26-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............750 rwhp 720 rwtq

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    That's a big Pro-Charger. What size motor does the mustang have ?

David

PS: I enjoyed meeting you and seeing your car at the Zip Tie drags back in September 2017 at Gateway.
    David, the Mustang is a Fox body with a 408 cube windsor with Ford Motorsport block and forged crank and rods. Heads are Twisted Wedge R heads and I'll be running a powerglide. I am planning on blowing 25 psi into it with the Procharger paired with an in car mounted water to air intercooler. Engine management is a Holley Dominator box. It should be a good time for sure.

It was great to meet you at Gateway last year too. I actually drove right by there again on my way to get this Procharger, the guy who had it was in Peoria, IL and I had to go get it. We were going to ship it of course but the idea got really expensive, as I also bought his motorplate, custom headers and a custom 4" exhaust. Quite a long drive from Dallas but it was worth it.
    Last edited by Broncojohnny; 02-26-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Here is the exhaust. 2 1/8" headers into a 4" collector which then goes into a 4" oval X pipe with two different kinds of mufflers that can be changed out thanks to V band clamps. Needless to say, we are trying to get a lot of air in and out of this thing!

Name:  Mufflers.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  375.1 KBName:  Headers.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  385.3 KBName:  X Pipe 1.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  158.1 KBName:  X Pipe 2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  211.8 KB

On October 20th we loaded up the old Bird for the 23rd annual Buick versus Ford Shootout at Thunder Valley Raceway Park in Noble, OK.

Over the previous few months we did a few things to try to put a little more spring in her step. Chief among these was redrilling the rear hubs to the 5X4.5" bolt pattern of the numerous 15" mustang wheels we have laying around the shop. The change to 15" wheels brought with it the flexibility to use the tires we have for our other cars. We decided on a 26X8" Mickey Thompson ET Drag.

We also ditched our jackshaft pulley which was slightly larger than stock, for a true 5% overdrive pulley. This put us at a total of 15% overdrive.

With no other significant changes she went a best of:
    60 ft 1.643
    330 ft 5.14
    1/8th 8.06
    mph 84.73 mph
    1000 ft 10.57
    1/4 12.74
    mph 103.68

Best launch came at 3,500 rpm on 12 psi tire pressure. Obviously the tires made a world of difference but I figured we would pick up a few mph with the blower spinning faster. I also can't help but notice that the quarter mile time is also about .2 off of where it should be for a 8.06 eighth mile ET. IE, we should be in the mid 12s. She wanted a little more fuel to be at the same AF ratio as before (I shoot for 10.5 AF on a gas scale wide band with pump E85) but that did not translate to more mph.

With a total of 15% overdrive should I be looking into a 85mm throttle body and bigger mass air perhaps? Currently we have the MP inlet, 75mm TB and a stock MA meter with the bridge removed.

Name:  Redrilling hubs.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  669.9 KBName:  Prostar Bird.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  662.1 KB

Johnny,

Good job representing the SC community !

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............750 rwhp 720 rwtq

My Garage

Thanks for the followup - luv'in the MTs.

...step by step

Remind me, what axle ratio?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Thanks for the followup - luv'in the MTs.

...step by step

Remind me, what axle ratio?

Ken
    3.07 from a Lincoln with a strange mini spool

I think you're pretty close, just need about 10 hp if you want a few more tenths, all things considered. Guessing the temp on the 20th was about 70...any idea what the ACTs were during those runs?

A bigger TB is tempting, but it might bring a cascade of other changes to make it work. You could always ditch the horn pad and slap on 5 coats of airplane wax

I think you're pretty close, just need about 10 hp if you want a few more tenths, all things considered. Guessing the temp on the 20th was about 70...any idea what the ACTs were during those runs?

A bigger TB is tempting, but it might bring a cascade of other changes to make it work. You could always ditch the horn pad and slap on 5 coats of airplane wax
    It was about 65 degrees ambient, hot in the sun but almost cold in the shade. Typical October weather in Oklahoma. I don't have any way of knowing ACTs but it runs super cool with the E85. To the point that I am worried more about the oil being too cold in the staging lanes than I am about the coolant temp. I can make a pass and the top of the radiator is only warm to the touch.

I am wondering if the TB is the way to go or if possibly it might be time to rework the intercooler system. It is completely stock and doesn't even have a raised top. There is definitely a high rpm bottleneck in there somewhere and we will find it. Alternatively, it could be something like valve springs but if that were the case I can't see how the blower pulley wouldn't at lease do something for our mph.

Wasn't asking about coolant temp, sorry - I assume, tho the engine is at least riding on the stat and it is still stock spec.

Just curious about charge air temps in/out of the IC. I use a gauge with dual needles and sensors on the IC in/out.

Do you just want improved flow thru the IC, or better cooling? One of Ken's dual-core ICs would be interesting to try.

And sure both better flow and better cooling, but when you improve flow, you loose backpressure, which leads to less boost on the gauge, which leads to more pulley, which leads to higher ACTS, which leads to more IC, which reduces backpressure, etc. etc. Back on the cascade/slippery slope train. The best way to stay off that train is to avoid doing anything that aggressively dumps heat into the charge air in the bargain. I'd want to do all I could to not add more heat, while removing as much as possible from what's already there, first. If that results in more flow, fine, but in your example, I'd resist higher flow as a primary goal.

A raised top will -modify- flow, but just keep in mind it isn't so much an adder as a means to shift the power band higher. I like mine, but as I said, it moved the power higher in the rpm range, taking a bit away from the bottom, but nothing 7% over didn't cure, keeping in mind my goals are different from yours.

Are you still bound by a rules budget?
    Last edited by KMT; 10-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Wasn't asking about coolant temp, sorry - I assume, tho the engine is at least riding on the stat and it is still stock spec.

Just curious about charge air temps in/out of the IC. I use a gauge with dual needles and sensors on the IC in/out.

Do you just want improved flow thru the IC, or better cooling? One of Ken's dual-core ICs would be interesting to try.

And sure both better flow and better cooling, but when you improve flow, you loose backpressure, which leads to less boost on the gauge, which leads to more pulley, which leads to higher ACTS, which leads to more IC, which reduces backpressure, etc. etc. Back on the cascade/slippery slope train. The best way to stay off that train is to avoid doing anything that aggressively dumps heat into the charge air in the bargain. I'd want to do all I could to not add more heat, while removing as much as possible from what's already there, first. If that results in more flow, fine, but in your example, I'd resist higher flow as a primary goal.

A raised top will -modify- flow, but just keep in mind it isn't so much an adder as a means to shift the power band higher. I like mine, but as I said, it moved the power higher in the rpm range, taking a bit away from the bottom, but nothing 7% over didn't cure, keeping in mind my goals are different from yours.

Are you still bound by a rules budget?
    I understood what you were asking on the ACTs, I just kind of went off the rails with the whole coolant temp thing. But what I was getting at is that the car runs so cool on the ethanol that heat isn't much of an issue even with the ACTs being super high with the 15% overdrive. The ethanol burns so cool in the chamber that the car never even gets hot. It barely moves the gauge even after a pass. I did not mention that I never even turned the cooling fan on this past weekend. Back when I would run 110 octane gasoline I would have to turn the fan on in the shut down area and keep it running until I started my burnout for the next pass. On the E85 I am thinking about just removing it to save weight, it is that much of a difference.

Interesting you say that about the raised top. It desperately needs the high rpm power. Maybe I need to get one of those tops and work on the intercooler. I think anything to increase the flow at full tilt is going to help. I like the idea of a double intercooler because I can keep the stock look but on the other hand, I can get something like an Isuzu NPR cooler for about $100 and then make my own tubes. I am not sure what I will do at this point. Sounds like the raised top might be a first step.

I am not trying to stay in the $500 budget at this point as that junkyard class has gone away. I definitely have more than that in the car now but at the same time, I would sell the car all day long for the $3,000 that the Roadkill event stipulates. I am hoping I can get in one of the Roadkill zip tie events in the future but I am certain I will need to be in the 11s to win one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    I like the idea of a double intercooler...
    One is for sale here:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...27#post1119727

I saw that, may have to pick that one up.

The mustang's 408 is back from the shop, I had them coat the piston tops and skirts. Cylinder #1 got a sleeve.

Name:  408B.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  695.4 KB