1989 SC needs to run mid 12s

I love that one but I am in Dallas, Texas so it would be cost prohibitive to get it here. My admin here at work is moving to Ottawa next week, maybe I can get her to bring it back when she come to visit? lol

It might not be too bad for shipping, assuming he would ship it. Fedex's calculator guesstimates around $120 CAD for something around 40 lbs. (I have no idea what the hood actually weights) which brings you to a total of $470 CAD which is currently equal to around $356 USD assuming you don't get get hit with customs duties (you might) and that the seller would not take less for it (he might?).

Norm-L might be making some hoods in the near future. If you don't mind making some modifications, it might work for you.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?140791-Is-anyone-interested-in-a-hood-like-this&highlight=hood

It might not be too bad for shipping, assuming he would ship it. Fedex's calculator guesstimates around $120 CAD for something around 40 lbs. (I have no idea what the hood actually weights) which brings you to a total of $470 CAD which is currently equal to around $356 USD assuming you don't get get hit with customs duties (you might) and that the seller would not take less for it (he might?).

Norm-L might be making some hoods in the near future. If you don't mind making some modifications, it might work for you.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?140791-Is-anyone-interested-in-a-hood-like-this&highlight=hood

That hood Norm-L is going to make looks pretty nice.

Here is our fuel pump and new exhaust with dynomax bullets and turndowns
Weldon2.jpgbullets2.jpg

We had a less than stellar outing at the Buick vs. Ford race. Our best pass was:

60 ft 1.619
330 ft 5.139
1/8th 8.03
mph 85.52 mph
1000 ft 10.53
1/4 12.66
mph 105.60

Weather was a small issue, as the track is at an elevation of about 1,000 feet but the DA on Saturday was around 2,600 feet and on track temps were around 80 degrees. It is usually around 65-70 degrees on a typical October race day.

In any event, I think we may have found the limits of the stock computer's ability because in order to get the car to run with a safe AF ratio at high rpm (11.5:1) it needed to be very rich (9.5:1) under 4,000 rpm. At launch she'd come out pretty rich but would clean up somewhat at higher rpm. In the past it has been more than happy to run at around 10.5:1 and would do that most of the way down the track but now we have a wild swing in effect. This makes sense to me because we have greatly increased the high rpm airflow with the latest round of modifications. The mass air meter may be to blame, there are shenanigans in play there since it is calibrated for 36 lb injectors while we actually use 52 lb injectors.

On the plus side, the car does make power past 4,500 rpm so I guess we made progress on that front.

Also, I did smell just a little clutch on the very first pass so we may be at the limit of our stock clutch. That didn't appear to be a factor on later passes though. I never smelled it again and the car would pull like a freight train on the return road after a pass when the clutch was hot. We'll probably put in a Spec stage III or something similar just to remove it from the equation, I am surprised it has not been an issue sooner.

How are you tuning the factory computer? It can go further than 52lb injectors.

By fooling it with bigger injectors and a mass air meter. I'm also running E85 so that is part of the shenanigans. So I think I'll need to invest in something I can tune going forward. I can convert it to Holley EFI as I have two other cars that run it and don't even need to buy a box (I can just swap it out) but that is a project that I'd rather not take on right now. Plus it kind of ruins the whole low budget schtick too.

Last edited:
Back