The end of the 506rwhp stock shortblock....

rzimmerl

So after the last year and half looking at the car in the garage decided was time to pull this motor out and figure exactly what happened at the 2014 Shootout. Little background on this: this was a 1000 mile rebuilt shortblock with Sealed power pistons and stock early model rods, standard Fel Pro headgaskets with all my other bolt on goodies and was not retuned for the KB 2.1 from the 1.7AR. Right before the dyno I decided to up the boost by going to a 10% JS pulley over the 5% as was making about 18-20lbs of boost. So on the rollers it went and pulled 480, small tweak of removing 2 degrees of timing was only change done to the next pull for 506 and finding out that was maxing out the fuel pump by 4800 rpms. Next day track day, first test pass down the track run 11.6ish and as I'm going down the return lane I realized now making on 10lbs of oil pressure.... so that was the end of the shootout for me. Keep in mind this engine does not smoke, does not knock, it only has very weird oil pressure. At initial startup for about 45 seconds it buries the oil pressure gauge and then levels off to 45 lbs.

Fast forward to today. First drained oil and some came out like oil for about 15 seconds and then the grease like oil started to plop out. Next pulled spark plugs and found trace evidence of burnt coolant on 4 of them. Pulled motor and thru exhaust ports more traces of burnt coolant. So obviously lifted both heads and with just standard fel pro gasket they started to leak. Combination of high boost, pump gas with alky, and too much timing were most likely the cause. I hope to have the bottom end apart this weekend to see what the bearings look like after the amount of coolant that went thru them.

Oh on a side note whoever says 500whp and direct drive AOD won't work, come see me :D Inner shaft is straight as an arrow

More to come on this, I will be back in order this year but with a change.

It is a hardened inner shaft. Trans is built, 10" converter, and has the softest calibration Lentech valvebody.

Long block has been completely disassembled and analyzed. Found 2 rusty spots on the headgasket firing rings and signs of coolant in combustion chamber. No spun or wiped bearings, piston skirts show no unusual wear, pistons have no cracks, crankshaft is perfectly fine, but the upper rod bearings on all 6 have bearing surface fatigue (aluminum flaking off) due to detonation. The rod bearings backer and rod bore show no signs of excessive heat transfer. This short block could have new rod bearings installed and be ready to live another day, granted still need to verify no bent connecting rods. But with this perfectly built SCU shortblock sitting next to it that won't be the case. So glad I decided not to continue to race, or this would have been a different story.

Turn the boost a pump up.... would have worked before, but still putting in a 340 pump and custom -6 fuel rails (currently have stock rails that are individually fed not like the stock loop system)

Turn the boost a pump up.... would have worked before, but still putting in a 340 pump and custom -6 fuel rails (currently have stock rails that are individually fed not like the stock loop system)
Are you going to go wild on the cam?

Ken

Nope, just updating stuff for reliability. Rocker arms, timing set, etc...

Wild item is that I'm 99.9% certain I'll be converting to a manual transmission, 5 speed for now 6 to come later.

Nope, just updating stuff for reliability. Rocker arms, timing set, etc...

Wild item is that I'm 99.9% certain I'll be converting to a manual transmission, 5 speed for now 6 to come later.

You just upped the fun factor and made your'e car significantly slower on the track lol Built AOD FTW

gonna miss the 1 time per year it gets raced... Car is built to have fun, take kids to get ice cream, take Sunday cruises, not racing. Nothing's set in stone but have everything but a flywheel to make it happen right now.

gonna miss the 1 time per year it gets raced... Car is built to have fun, take kids to get ice cream, take Sunday cruises, not racing. Nothing's set in stone but have everything but a flywheel to make it happen right now.

No more shootout??

Ken

I won't miss the shootout, and I'll still race. Will be just little more challenging with the manual, and the dyno love should make up for it lol.

Back