New wheels and tires

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
I bought 18x9 Enkei PF01s back in December, and now that I've paid my taxes, I was finally able to get some tires to go with them 255/40-18 Bridgestone RE71Rs. They've proven to be the tire to have in SCCA street tire classes.

DSC_2919_zpsdj32vd8e.jpg

DSC_2920_zps6za5q6sm.jpg

The pics are straight off the jack, so the suspension hasn't settled yet and the car is sitting too high. It'll come down, but I may still lower the front spring perches a bit and cut 1/4 coil off the rear springs.

When you add the wheel and tire weights together, the new ones are only 4 pounds lighter for the set. But I did this more for tire availability than weight savings, so I guess I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:
Will, once you've put a few street miles on these I'd be interested to hear your impressions. From what I've read these new Bridgestones have outstanding grip, but fairly harsh ride and road noise.

Cheers
Ed

I like, very nice

thats a beautiful machine you have, I really like to see supercoupes in that pristine condition, if only all supercoupes could be maintained as nicely

Thanks, all.

Ed, if nothing else, I expect the ride to be a bit more harsh just by losing some tire sidewall. But I'll give an update at some point once I've put some miles on the tires.

Car looks awesome as usual Will! I notice the treadwear rating in the picture is blank. lol Do they have one?

David, those are 200 TW tires, designed specifically with that number to be eligible for certain SCCA autocross classes (and Chumpcar) that have TW rating rules. I was tempted to order a set for my Mustang, but they would probably be dead after 3 or 4 track days. Since I'm not competing with the car, and have some Continental slicks on extra wheels if I want to go faster, I went with the older RE-11 Bridgestones instead.

cheers
Ed

Yeah, I was surprised that the treadwear and wet/dry traction letter grades weren't there. I'm not sure why that is, but as Ed says, they're 200tw.

I bought 18x9 Enkei PF01s back in December, and now that I've paid my taxes, I was finally able to get some tires to go with them 255/40-18 Bridgestone RE71Rs. They've proven to be the tire to have in SCCA street tire classes.

DSC_2919_zpsdj32vd8e.jpg

DSC_2920_zps6za5q6sm.jpg

The pics are straight off the jack, so the suspension hasn't settled yet and the car is sitting too high. It'll come down, but I may still lower the front spring perches a bit and cut 1/4 coil off the rear springs.

When you add the wheel and tire weights together, the new ones are only 4 pounds lighter for the set. But I did this more for tire availability than weight savings, so I guess I'll take what I can get.

The wheels/tires look great. I guess you really?

Looks great Will! I have the Potenza RE760 Sports on my setup, Bridgestone makes some solid tires.

If memory serves me - you had SVE 17s on there before right? So went up a size and lost weight still...seems like a win to me.

-Tim

I had the 17x9 10th Anniversary Cobras on the car before. I still love those wheels, but just couldn't find tires I wanted in a good 17-inch size.

Back