2016 Shootout Hotel Information

I have been in contact with the general manager.

The fire was limited to the "banquet center" wing and they expect to be renting room again in a week or so. I have been told our rooms will be available.

They are working to help us find an alternate location for the banquet.

Last year's hotel is booked and besides everybody bitched about being there which is why we did not go back!!

Hampton in Winchester will not take us back

For now we are not planning on changing hotels but we are looking and we'll keep you updated.

Guys, thank you for your efforts here. I am not trying to make things more difficult than they already are and I am certainly not going to second guess any decision you make. Brian, you know me better than that. You also know I tend to nit pick the details to make sure nothing has been missed, but this isn't the time.

I have full faith that you and Pat will make this work. Really. ;)

I have been in contact with the general manager.

The fire was limited to the "banquet center" wing and they expect to be renting room again in a week or so. I have been told our rooms will be available.

They are working to help us find an alternate location for the banquet.

Last year's hotel is booked and besides everybody bitched about being there which is why we did not go back!!

Hampton in Winchester will not take us back

For now we are not planning on changing hotels but we are looking and we'll keep you updated.

Glad you came back with this. I was just about to start digging into getting more context to what "it caught fire" really meant. Could be very minor, could have been major, and it's a bad thing to let a human use their own imagination for what it could have been.

I'd be cool with a simple outside event or something. Whatever works!

Side note: People need to stop complaining about anything and maintain a conciliatory attitude so we don't get rejected by places. I mean, it's a room with beds. We aren't at the shootout for hotel amenities anyways. The hotel last year I like a bunch, too.

Should an estimated head count be taken to confirm that all these efforts aren't wasted. I know in past years it's been stated that we've barely gotten enough people to cover expenses.

I was just able to verify the days off for the Shootout but I will hold off making reservations for now until I hear what happens.

The Shootout is going to happen on the dates we posted. The only thing up in the air is the hotel, because of this fire. We expect to have this issue resolved within a couple days and will make an announcement at that time. Meanwhile don't bother calling this hotel to book a room, because we might not be staying there.

Thanks, David

I was just able to verify the days off for the Shootout but I will hold off making reservations for now until I hear what happens.

Not allowed! The Shoot Out would not be the same if you stayed home. Seriously, you need to be there. Really. Otherwise I have no certainty that I will make it back home again :)

Not allowed! The Shoot Out would not be the same if you stayed home. Seriously, you need to be there. Really. Otherwise I have no certainty that I will make it back home again :)

Oh, I am coming to the Shootout. :D
I am just holding off on the hotel reservations for the moment until the hotel gets it's act together.

Yea, that would be a really weird one if Jim didn't make it. Ever since Jim came that first time (before time began) he has been a fixture at the Shootout working on people's cars or taking pictures.

Heck, it was Jim and Pro Street Rich that made sure Tanya and I got home last year.

Like Ira, I want to thank the Shootout leadership for tackling what's now a more difficult job than usual. Wherever we end up, I'll be there--I come for the people, not the quality of the hotel.

It will all work out! I'm pretty excited about this year as well I missed last year and I've done a ton of work to the car.

physical check

If it will help I can go physically check on the damage and check the level of odors......worst case as Matt suggested rent some tents and use my lawn....LOL....

Should an estimated head count be taken to confirm that all these efforts aren't wasted. I know in past years it's been stated that we've barely gotten enough people to cover expenses.

That did happen in the past but we have a firm grip on our expenses now and the number of attendees has been pretty consistent for a number of years. We spend quite a bit of time massaging the budget each year and being certain that the fees cover all the costs.

the only way I think we could get into trouble financially is if we had literally a 50% drop in attendance in which case we would make adjustments at that time.

One thing that will have to happen this year is we will need more people to register in advance. Because so many people wanted to use a caterer rather than cooking ourselves we need to give a caterer a head count a few days in advance.....therefore walkin registrations may not be able to attend the banquet.

Are you hearing that a lot of folks wont be making it this year?

That did happen in the past but we have a firm grip on our expenses now and the number of attendees has been pretty consistent for a number of years. We spend quite a bit of time massaging the budget each year and being certain that the fees cover all the costs.

the only way I think we could get into trouble financially is if we had literally a 50% drop in attendance in which case we would make adjustments at that time.

One thing that will have to happen this year is we will need more people to register in advance. Because so many people wanted to use a caterer rather than cooking ourselves we need to give a caterer a head count a few days in advance.....therefore walkin registrations may not be able to attend the banquet.

I just checked the web site and registration isn't opened yet. Without that there is noway to really know.

Last edited:
I just checked the web site and registration isn't opened yet. Without that there is noway to really know.

Surprisingly registration was all set to open on Monday but we held of going live with the website to be certain a venue change didn't change our budget or registration fees.

I haven't heard anything, I can name a lot of people with sold cars, cars that don't run, and people that haven't been attending though. Plus there's always travel issues for some. I don't know if I'll have transportation down, and there's another event in interested in during the same time, so I'm 50/50.

The hotel that burned has helped us locate another hotel and we are working to lock in a contract.

Room rates look like they are going to be $109 per night which includes two free breakfast vouchers per room per night. Additional breakfasts are $10.95 each (there is also a cracker barrel across the street)

The hotel has a banquet facility and will cater Saturday's banquet, all drinks (booze and soft drinks) will be via a cash bar. We cannot bring any food or drinks into the banquet hall. This is similar to the provisions at the other hotel.

Parking looks to be better than last year but not as good as the original hotel but not horrible.

As soon as all the details are locked in we'll let you know.

Back