Floor jack recommendations?

plethaus

Can anyone recommend a decent but not exorbitantly priced floor jack that's low profile enough to easily get a lowered car up in the air but still get some decent lift? The Craftsman 3 ton I've had for years has finally had it (for various reasons.)

I've perused various sites and seen a zillion options but was hoping for some thoughts/experiences before I plop down some money on one. Thanks!

I bought the harbor freight 3 ton and its been a good jack. if i had to do it over again i would spend the extra money and get the aluminum version that is a lot lighter.

I bought the harbor freight 3 ton and its been a good jack. if i had to do it over again i would spend the extra money and get the aluminum version that is a lot lighter.

I too have a harbor freight 3.5 ton steel floor jack and it's been great. I've never been a fan of lightweight aluminum jacks as they just feel flimsy and unsafe to me.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 272
I use the $70-ish Harbor Freight aluminum jack. I've been using it for years.

Everyone I race with uses the same jack. I've never seen a problem.

We've got three floor jacks, and the only one that will go under my lowered Anny is the 1.5T aluminum racing jack from HF. It has a roller on one end, wheels on the other and LED lights in the jacking pad. The side handle is convenient, the pump handle breaks down and is padded so it won't mark the body, and it's never leaked, tweaked or felt flimsy in any way - had it for 5 years now and it's still like new. I think mine is labeled General and the brand now is Pittsburgh. Paid less than $70. I got tired of having to drive up on boards...

Last edited:
Ive got a HF low profile 3 ton and love it for lowered cars. (on vettes I still roll them up onto pieces of 2x8 i have, just for extra bumper clearance)

Ive got a HF low profile 3 ton and love it for lowered cars. (on vettes I still roll them up onto pieces of 2x8 i have, just for extra bumper clearance)
I've got the same jack and I still can't lift the front of my SC without driving onto boards....the body of the jack hits the front air deflector.

I've got the same jack and I still can't lift the front of my SC without driving onto boards....the body of the jack hits the front air deflector.

I have the regular 3 ton HF jack and I just angle it to the side of the air dam to lift the front (my car is only lowered 1") I don't do this much because i bought a set of the Ranger Quckjacks which are pretty nice, but they are a luxery item...

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems/bl-5000slx-portable-car-lift.html

I've got a HF jack and an Arcan from Costco. Both were able to get under our 300M Special (which regularly ate parking stops in parking lots). I'd recommend the Arcan from Costco if you've got a membership. It was $94 when I bought it a few years back. Is low profile and high lift and long reach. Also has a wide stance. Has served me well. Edit: Just noticed the crappy picture with the tape measure. Already back inside and too lazy to go back out to the garage. It's 3.75" from the concrete to the top of the lift pad.

51JMPWX.jpg

ON06eWh.jpg

Last edited:
Eight year old Costco aluminum jack. $100.
Don't ever buy an all steel jack, unless you are lifting heavy trucks.

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a HF 1.5ton aluminum. I figure if that's not enough for my needs I'll just get a cheap steel 3t for those times when the smaller one doesn't cut it.

Harbor Freight #68050 is about as good as it gets. Steel, cheap, very low deck, and will lift high.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...vy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html

On the 94/95 style front end, you can apparently go straight in and grab the cross member. On my 89 which is pretty low, I have to go at a 45 degree angle and grab the knuckle, but I can start jacking and get both front wheels off the ground and set some jack stands.

I'm using the same jack....works way better than my old Craftsman 3 ton did.

Car covered.jpg

David

Last edited:
Back