Possibly Buying an 89 XR-7

C

cschweikl

Hello All, I just registered and am looking to buy an 89 XR-7 that has been in storage for the last 5 yrs. My concern is that the owner brought the car out and started it without doing anything to the engine. I believe that he started it off and on while it was not being used but I am wondering if he could have done more damage than the issues that I already know about which are: car is stuck in high idle, trans slips, a/c not working, driver's side window not working and just a moderate cleaning. Can anyone give me an idea ballpark how much a trans rebuild / replacement is? I would have the car flat bedded to my mechanic if I buy it. Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and welcomed and thanks to all.

I wouldn't be bothered by the starting the car while in storage. As a matter of fact, I would much prefer that to him letting it sit all that time. What would concern me though is that if you can't work on this car yourself, fixing up an SC is a very expensive proposition, and you would probably be better off spending more money on something that is already running and driving.

Thanks for the heads up. The owner had the supercharger rebuilt approx. 10K miles ago and it runs and drives. The price is fair, I just don't want to get into something that is going to take another $5K to get it to run properly.

Well to properly rebuild a DOA trans (a more accurate description than AOD), and to have it last, you are looking at $2k. The whole front suspension probably needs to be rebuilt, so figure another $1000 there if you are paying someone else to do it. It also probably needs all new hoses and belts, and all the fluids changed, so there's $500. The high idle could be as simple as a stuck IAC motor, or it could be a vacuum leak, or even something more involved, so at best there is another $100, and at worst it could need head gaskets which would be another $1500. So yes, it is quite possible it would cost you another $5k to get it back on the road.

Back