AC Schrader valves missing

1qwik99

Hey all,

My AC was not as cold as it used to be so I pulled off the low side cap in order to add some freon. This is when it gets strange. I should mention that about a year ago, we replaced the low side schrader valve as it was leaking then. Not been in there since. After unscrewing the cap, I notice that there is NO Schrader valve inside, just a black rubber o-ring down in the tube. I hear it hissing so obviously it is leaking. Same on the High side....Any one know if I just need to install new valves? If so, which kind do the 95 SC's use? is it the skinny ones or the fatter ones. I have a kit that has both.

ThanksDSCF1025[1].jpgDSCF1024[1].jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the pics, sorry.

Can you get shot from the side w/o the cap?

It might be the adapter seal against the original port is leaking.

Hard to tell from the pics, sorry.

Can you get shot from the side w/o the cap?

It might be the adapter seal against the original port is leaking.

That is without the cap. My camera is pretty cheap so the pics a bit blurry.

I can see the cap has been removed, I just wanted to look at it from the side, but no big deal. I'm pretty sure that's the 134a adapter, and it seals to the original port with an o-ring. The actual schrader valve is below it, inside the original port. The adapter should have a hex shoulder on it and be easily removed with a wrench, I think.

Might look like this:
mDC5_JaqmUtqECBnSDKpIQQ.jpg

Ac

I pulled the adapter off and it looks like the bottom portion of the schrader is connected to it, but the top part which is exposed to the gauges of the valve is broken off I guess, on both of them. Weird huh?

Ahh...that might explain why it looks the way it does in the photos (and why I wanted to see from the side).

Yes, weird, if that's what happened.

But you'd have a hard time screwing a cap on if that was the case...

Ac

Ahh...that might explain why it looks the way it does in the photos (and why I wanted to see from the side).

Yes, weird, if that's what happened.

But you'd have a hard time screwing a cap on if that was the case...

I took both R-134 adapters off and the underside looked the same, the tops looked the same too....Schrader Valves not visible from the top of the adapter only from the underside. Caps screwed back on fine. I ordered two OEM Motorcraft adapters HS & LS from a Ford Dealer on ebay. Not sure if they come with Schraders installed or not, but I have some already. I'm guessing that both schraders fell apart at some point, but when I unscrewed the caps all that came out was a couple of rubber washers. The system is empty now, if that is why you thought they would be hard to reinstall the caps?

Last edited:
The system is empty now, if that is why you thought they would be hard to reinstall the caps?

No.

You said "the top part which is exposed to the gauges of the valve is broken off I guess, on both of them" - the top part of the adapter is what normally allows you to screw a cap on...threads are on the inside:
AC-adapter-R12-R134aA-strai.jpg

Can you take a photo of your adapters? I'm not sure they're broken.

Ac

No.

You said "the top part which is exposed to the gauges of the valve is broken off I guess, on both of them" - the top part of the adapter is what normally allows you to screw a cap on...threads are on the inside:
AC-adapter-R12-R134aA-strai.jpg

Can you take a photo of your adapters? I'm not sure they're broken.

After reading more on the Internet about this type of adapter, I learned that this is a "ball type" which does not have a Schrader valve sticking out of the top, only underneath. Apparently, it has a rubber "ball" that allows the freon to pass by it and into the tube to the system.

The ball valve can also be removed and replaced. they make a special 8 sided socket to remove them. The bad thing about the ball valves are if you tighten the charge coupling down to tight it damages them. So be careful when you put the charge coupling on and only open it enough to allow the freon to flow into the system.

ac

I replaced both adapters with brand new Motorcraft ones. Used a couple of cans of AC PRO 134 which comes with a hose and gauge. After using on 20 oz can the air is freezing cold. I tested for leaks with a drop of soapy water on the valves. I just need another 14oz to fill it up. Got to get a smog tomorrow (California) and then to Autozone for some more 134.

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys !

I replaced both adapters with brand new Motorcraft ones. Used a couple of cans of AC PRO 134 which comes with a hose and gauge. After using on 20 oz can the air is freezing cold. I tested for leaks with a drop of soapy water on the valves. I just need another 14oz to fill it up. Got to get a smog tomorrow (California) and then to Autozone for some more 134.

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys !

I think my 95 took 36oz of Freon so you might be a bit low with only 34 oz's

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/ford

Smitty

Ac

I was going by the sticker on the driver firewall. It says maximum charge 96g / 2 lbs 2 oz.

Back