'89 XR7 No Start After plugs, wires, radiator, and PS pump

mtd240

Did some work on an '89 XR7 - don't know much about these cars, but from what I do know, it's very similar to the SuperCoupe (same engine at least..).

Car ran fine before the work. Replaced the radiator, power steering pump, spark plugs, and plug wires. I put everything back together, went to start the car and..it caught! Then immediately died. :mad: It cranks, catches, and runs for a split second then dies. Tachometer works and there is no upshift light while cranking (did as much reading as I could before posting this). If I give it some gas right after starting, I can keep it alive - but it jumps to 3k RPM with even the lightest opening of the throttle, immediately dying when I close it.

Sorry for the jumbled post - any ideas?

Did some work on an '89 XR7 - don't know much about these cars, but from what I do know, it's very similar to the SuperCoupe (same engine at least..).

Car ran fine before the work. Replaced the radiator, power steering pump, spark plugs, and plug wires. I put everything back together, went to start the car and..it caught! Then immediately died. :mad: It cranks, catches, and runs for a split second then dies. Tachometer works and there is no upshift light while cranking (did as much reading as I could before posting this). If I give it some gas right after starting, I can keep it alive - but it jumps to 3k RPM with even the lightest opening of the throttle, immediately dying when I close it.

Sorry for the jumbled post - any ideas?

I'm thinking you have a rather larger vac leak based on what you've posted. When you replaced the Radiator you would have removed the innercooler...did you reseal those connections with RTV when reinstalling?

The fact you have no shift light and your tach works leads me to believe your sensors are getting the readings needed to fire. And usually if you can keep it alive with RPMs it leans towards a leak.

-Tim

I'm thinking you have a rather larger vac leak based on what you've posted. When you replaced the Radiator you would have removed the innercooler...did you reseal those connections with RTV when reinstalling?

The fact you have no shift light and your tach works leads me to believe your sensors are getting the readings needed to fire. And usually if you can keep it alive with RPMs it leans towards a leak.

-Tim

Tim - I went out after writing the OP and tightened the lower intercooler pipe - you were absolutely right! Car fired right up and ran perfectly on the test drive. Going to leave the Zerex flush in there for a few days of driving, refill with distilled, then finally get the right coolant in there. Old stuff was radioactive green, not in the least bit translucent..

Back