Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Shootout Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by fastsc92 View Post
    I hate to be Mr. negative, but I agree with this 100%, just from the activity on the forums. I took a long break from these cars and from the forum while I wrapped up my graduate work and started a family. When I returned 5 years later, pretty much nothing had changed. The same 3 guys were fast and the rest have mildly stock cars. I think the same thing happens at the shootout. Everyone pulls the same dyno numbers and a few guys like Brian and Casey are pushing the envelope (which is exciting). If I ever do get to attend a shootout, it'll be to check out the guys that are pushing the envelope and to also toss my hat into the ring with them. The rest just seems to be lackluster.
    Mr negative obviously hasn't been around for quit a while I push the envelope every year man.
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Quote Originally Posted by Pat DiPersia View Post
    The dyno/car show at the hotel has been more to help the wives and families, which if anything, have grown through the years. It's more the norm to be traveling with at least a spouse to the Shootout now. If you drive in a single car, the spouse may not be thrilled to be stuck at the remote dyno location for 8 hours. . . Not including children, over 70% of registrants brought a companion. That speaks volumes to our event!

But I agree, we need to at least consider opening this event up to other cars, whether we stick within the Ford moniker or not. It's going to be hard to attract new faces when we're dealing with a car that hasn't been produced in 20+ years and sells for under $5k. Sad, but true.

There was talk of having an "Epic Drive" next year, similar to the Power Tour. Do something like this in the Spring to get everyone revved up and ready to go for the Shootout in the fall. Dust off your car and be ready to roll! Would be a large undertaking to plan. . . Would be nice if we could do a fair amount of driving to hit various areas and pick people up along the way for a day or two, but would also be nice to find those off the beaten path restaurants, car museums, etc., instead of just driving 600 miles in a day.

Something to think about. We definitely need to change things up a bit. The location? Always going to be tough to handle. The main Shootout crew seems to follow wherever it goes. Picking up the stragglers is key. I did a 12 hour drive (Taking Friday and Monday off work), I know the Oatways had a good hike, some Canadians (eh?) and John from Vegas takes the cake. I haven't brought my Thunderbird in the past two years (And get plenty of flak for it), but I also just enjoy coming out to see everyone and their cars more than anything. I don't have a trailer (Or would bring the SC.)

The Shootout this year couldn't have gone any better in my eyes. Just need to bring in more people, sponsors, etc. Whatever it takes to do that is worth it or we won't have a Shootout in a few years.
    The sho crowd no longer has a national meet. They would be the first group I could think of that would be a welcome addition to our venue. Several members own both and due to the fact that they were both produced first in 89 it kind of makes sense.
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.

Quote Originally Posted by davec73 View Post
    The sho crowd no longer has a national meet. They would be the first group I could think of that would be a welcome addition to our venue. Several members own both and due to the fact that they were both produced first in 89 it kind of makes sense.
    I agree its another of fords bastard cars with a small following and in stock
    form very comparable in prrformance. I would be completely cool with an sho
    Merger there are probably 4 of those things still on the road!
    93 SC Red Auto 111k
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    4.2, 2.3 Whipple, 3.73s AOD
    307rwhp 12.70@107.2 (MPX)
    395rwhp Whipple 11.741@117.5mph

Mr negative obviously hasn't been around for quit a while I push the envelope every year man.
    I think this all got taken out of context. Wasn't trying to single anyone out but it just seems that only a small handful of people that are pushing the envelope and the rest stays fairly same between years. The point I was trying to make (or more agree with...) is that there is a lack of excitement as neverfastenough pointed out.

It sounds like you guys want cars you can beat. I want cars who can beat us.
    Making woosh sounds since 2010!

Where are all the mark viii guys? They have always been welcome and I just do not
    see them anyomore. I thought they had a bigger following than the sc does?
    93 SC Red Auto 111k

No kidding! Last year I did a whole new drivetrain, body work and paint
    all last minute literaly had it tuned 2 weeks before the shootout picked up
    100hp and made the car 2 seconds faster.
    93 SC Red Auto 111k

Here is a list of regulars who themselves and/or cars did not make it this year.

Kurt Sunday
    Tim Groth
    Ken Wagner
    Micah
    Rob Maksimovitch
    Kieth Nichols
    John Ludorf
    Sally thornsberry (breakdownl
    Dan thornsberry (breakdown)
    mike pucket
    david dalke (no car)
    Duane nettles (no car)
    Paul from canada wirh the black five speed
    Tony serno
    Victor
    Bill Evanoff (no car)
    Paul ?? From stl area two tone car
    Jeff Bratton (2nd year no car fix that crap!)
    (3) supercharged 4.6 birds
    Who else am I missing?
    Last edited by Jacob_Royer; 10-08-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    93 SC Red Auto 111k

Quote Originally Posted by fastsc92 View Post
    I think this all got taken out of context. Wasn't trying to single anyone out but it just seems that only a small handful of people that are pushing the envelope and the rest stays fairly same between years. The point I was trying to make (or more agree with...) is that there is a lack of excitement as neverfastenough pointed out.
    There is a lack of excitement because guys stay home. To create excitement I put thousands of dollars a year in my car and try to do things that hasn't been done. However like the 17 or so guys and gals Jacob had listed and tons of others with incredible cars don't show up for one reason or another makes it lack luster. I didn't make a shootout until 2012 and I will do my best not to miss another. In all fairness to know who is pushing the envelope you have to show up is all I was saying I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

This was my second shootout this year. I enjoyed it a lot better than last year. Why? The hotel was nicer, we had a dyno competition this year, and I didn't break on my warm up passes at the track. The more i get to know the folks in this group, the more i like seeing them and talking with them. I felt like a part of the group this year compared to being the new guy last year. Folks like Smitty, Phillip, David D, Dan, and Luke really made a good impression last year as he went out of his way to make me feel welcome. This year it felt like even more people were welcoming, or maybe you just get to know everyone more as time goes on. Anyways, the negative of this year... it seemed like the TBU action is really forced. Last year it was funny. This year it seemed like, hey cough up your money for some crap, no offense. The dyno was cool this year, but I probably would not opt to do it next year, because i doubt i will do anything to add power. The auction did not have as good of stuff to bid on this year as last. My biggest negative... Its kind of the same each year... the car show has the same cars, and the same cars generally win (as they should because they are the ones with the most work done)... the dyno results should be generally the same each year unless major changes are made... the racing is interesting because that has as much to do with skill, so that is cool but unless we get some more cars, the same cars will likely win first and second. I'll sum this up with, the shootout is reasonably predictable.

I really like the idea of a Power Tour. That's something different and keep things interesting. I agree that we need more attendance, and if we cant get our own people to show up, I think we need to allow others even if it is a mustang. Corey said something (if not this thread, another one) Competition is a good thing, and if it takes seeing another platform to make us advance... then that's what we need to do. anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Thanks,
    Derek
    Any idiot can make a Mustang fast...
    It takes a special idiot to make a Thunderbird fast!!!
    89 SC 4.3 stroker 384rwhp 473ftlbs
    Best ET 13.085 Best MPH 106.6... got some work to do!
    2016 V6 M90 Dyno Champ 2016 Mod 1 Runner Up

I thought the dyno and the reserved parking at the hotel worked well this year. I also like that the dyno is at the hotel itself, but mainly because I bring my kids to the event with me. Sure I brought my kids when the dyno and show venues were not at the hotel, but it is not nerely as convenient for my family (yeah, I'm selfish). I have attended without the family before, but now that the kids are older, they need a break from the routine. If they don't go to the Shootout, I might not be able to go because they will need something else to do.

As for the dyno itself, I believe there were actually 15 cars, but I will have to confirm that when I return home next week. Regardless, we still didn't fill the slots. I blame myself partially, because I see no reason to dyno my car. I dyno'd 2 years ago because we needed cars and there was no need to do it again this year because I have made zero changes to my car.

I agree the tent needs to stay. It was especially nice to have when it was raining at lunch this year.

A different racing venue may help bring a few new people to the event, but I think there will be a few that wouldn't go too. Unless something major happens, I will be there no matter where it is held....I just like catching up with friends.

I would be fine with inviting other groups to participate in racing, but I still a firm believer that we need to rent the track, as opposed to racing during a public event.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

You guys do realize that Jay's "push the envelope" means people doing innovative things that hasn't been reached, tried, or accomplished by others, right? Most of that was loaded towards performance, too. Just to clarify and maybe that's happening, but context is important.

Lots of you guys do hard work to make the cars what they are. That's good stuff! Always admirable.

I think the best choice for a car group addition would be the v6 Mustang crowd. They share a common power plant, so why not? We race on indexes so it's not like there's ano unfair advantage. Nobody will be interested in just joining for bracket racing so that's out. We need more people for heads up.

Also we could be more inviting to the TCCOA folks.

I can get many different types of cats to come just for testing, but we'd have to come up with criteria or a focus for extraneous cars.
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

I think it is a natural tendency to expect too much from a single event. It reminds me of a recent study about vacations in general - that the planning and anticipation phase is much more important to a persons well being before and after the actual vacation than the vacation itself. There are some important take-aways here.

If you don't prepare, if you don't mod your car in some way, if you don't go to the track a few times to shake down the car during the summer, then I guarantee the Shootout is going to be a letdown. The planning phase should be fun, and you need to do your homework.

On the other extreme, if you spend all year modding or building your car so that you have something to show off at the Shootout and haven't been able to enjoy the car at all because of all the modding, then I can also pretty much guarantee that the Shootout isn't going to live up to your expectations. Even if you do win an award like Dave did this year it may not seem like enough, or you could end up with no recognition at all just because someone else had brighter paint or a better parking spot.

I'm not suggesting that the Shootout dominate your life, but I think that your car should be a small part of your life year round and that you should have goals with it (we are car guys after all aren't we?), and the Shootout should be your own personal measuring stick of how you did in both making reasonable goals and in achieving them. I like to see people making progress and being able to look back and have a sense of pride that they accomplished something over the past year.

On that note, I also feel that it's important to focus on the fun things and good memories that are tied up in the Shootout event itself so you have something positive to jump start next years plans/goals. For me the best part of the Shootout can be summed up in 3 things - Casey's car burning my eyes and choking my lungs while I was working on David's car 100 ft away, going off-roading with David on the Parkway, and getting bitched at by the track staff for lighting up Ira's tires in the pit lane.

Well, and maybe the omelets at the Hilton Embassy Suites Hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post
    You guys do realize that Jay's "push the envelope" means people doing innovative things that hasn't been reached, tried, or accomplished by others, right? Most of that was loaded towards performance, too. Just to clarify and maybe that's happening, but context is important.

Lots of you guys do hard work to make the cars what they are. That's good stuff! Always admirable.

I think the best choice for a car group addition would be the v6 Mustang crowd. They share a common power plant, so why not? We race on indexes so it's not like there's ano unfair advantage. Nobody will be interested in just joining for bracket racing so that's out. We need more people for heads up.

Also we could be more inviting to the TCCOA folks.

I can get many different types of cats to come just for testing, but we'd have to come up with criteria or a focus for extraneous cars.

I say a reach out to the SHO and Mark viii guys would be best! The mustang v6 guys tend to be d-bags. I have bought two of them to build one for my son and both owners were complete idiots. They would be running around doing one track burnouts in the parking lot ! the mark viii and sho guys are much more civilized just saying.
    93 SC Red Auto 111k

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    and getting bitched at by the track staff for lighting up Ira's tires in the pit lane.

Well, and maybe the omelets at the Hilton Embassy Suites Hotel.

Didn't you tell us all to NOT do that at the drivers meeting?? just saying
    93 SC Red Auto 111k