edit for next wave

I suspect coolant is leaking from around the thermostat housing (the top of where the gasket is always looks wet). I was planning on changing my thermostat housing gasket and replacing the thermostat while I'm at it. Is this a common SC problem and does this part solve it? How much are they?

It seems like a straight forward project to develop the replacement steel flange/rebuild and/or develop a replacement billet aluminum housing system like BT used to make.

If the supply for the replacements has truly dried up I could probably work up a solution/replacement and see where it goes from there.

It seems like a straight forward project to develop the replacement steel flange/rebuild and/or develop a replacement billet aluminum housing system like BT used to make.

If the supply for the replacements has truly dried up I could probably work up a solution/replacement and see where it goes from there.

I think the billet aluminum setup is way overkill, plus I like that the one with just the thicker flange looks stock.

I designed a replacement flange for them today. I have a housing to try it on later this week when I get some time to machine it out of steel.

I designed a replacement flange for them today. I have a housing to try it on later this week when I get some time to machine it out of steel.

How much for just the flange? They can be welded right too a stock housing and it solves the issue

They can be welded right too a stock housing and it solves the issue

That is an option I thought about too but with all the heat from welding it may distort the flange sealing surface causing a leak unless it it made flat again after welding. Also it would push the housing out about 3/8" inch and I don't know if that would cause clearance issues or hose alignment issues or not as I don't have an SC to look at right now. If there is clearance then it should be fine.

Last edited:
There's nothing in the area immediately in front of and around the housing, so if it sticks out a bit further, that is not an issue. Warpage due to welding would be though, so I would prefer to purchase it already assembled and machined flat. Put me down for 2 of them when you get them ready. Let me know if you need old ones to start building with, as I think I have a few laying around here I could dig up and send your way.

Thanks for the interest today guys but I don't want to threadjack this thread. I will start one when I have some info.

Thanks, Jeff

That is an option I thought about too but with all the heat from welding it may distort the flange sealing surface causing a leak unless it it made flat again after welding. Also it would push the housing out about 3/8" inch and I don't know if that would cause clearance issues or hose alignment issues or not as I don't have an SC to look at right now. If there is clearance then it should be fine.

Randy Hunerkoch made a bunch of them a few years ago. had a place cut out some flanges and then tig welded them to the stock housing. He would then send them to me and i'd take alight cut in the mill to true them up they worked great

Niebert I think had a problem with the thicker flange. But that was on a custom blower kit car.

Back