Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 3.8 to 4.2 stroker

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Jeannette Pa
    Posts
    29

    3.8 to 4.2 stroker

    Okay guys so I am wondering if a crank from a 4.2l out of a f150 will fit in my 1990 xr7 the connecting rods are the same but I don't know if their are any differences between main journal size or if they are balanced differently. Let me know what you guys know about this and if you have ever done this swap I would like to talk to you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,683
    The rods are not the same. If you swap in the crank/rods/pistons from the 4.2 they will fit fine, but the 4.2 has a balance shaft which won't work in the SC block so you'll need to rebalance. By the time you spend that money, you probably won't want to use the stock 4.2 rods/pistons because they are weak. Maybe if you keep Hp under 300 it would be ok, but above that the 4.2L parts get a bit sketchy.

    There are lots of 4.2 motors in SC's, but they pretty much all use aftermarket rods and pistons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE, AR
    Posts
    1,570
    Would it be possible to keep a 4.2SC under 300hp? I know it wouldn't be practical.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,683
    Quote Originally Posted by bowez View Post
    Would it be possible to keep a 4.2SC under 300hp? I know it wouldn't be practical.
    Sure, there are plenty of people who have dropped a completely stock 4.2 shortblock into an SC. You'll net an instant torque increase and HP will go up as blower drive and efficiency go up. I don't think I'd try an MPX on it but a 94 supercharger would work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Jeannette Pa
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Sure, there are plenty of people who have dropped a completely stock 4.2 shortblock into an SC. You'll net an instant torque increase and HP will go up as blower drive and efficiency go up. I don't think I'd try an MPX on it but a 94 supercharger would work great.
    It says that the 3.8 and 4.2 have the same rod length and bore the only difference is the stroke

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Nkuk35 View Post
    It says that the 3.8 and 4.2 have the same rod length and bore the only difference is the stroke
    Starting in 1999 the two motors shared connecting rods, but nothing else (pistons are different), and that doesn't apply to the SC 3.8, only the Mustang 3.8, and only starting with the 1999 model year.

    Regardless, rotating mass is different due to different piston dimensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Starting in 1999 the two motors shared connecting rods, but nothing else (pistons are different), and that doesn't apply to the SC 3.8, only the Mustang 3.8, and only starting with the 1999 model year.

    Regardless, rotating mass is different due to different piston dimensions.
    Is this the reason 99+ 3.8's were labeled as a 3.9? I'm guessing due to a slightly longer stroke?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Paoli Indiana
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Sure, there are plenty of people who have dropped a completely stock 4.2 shortblock into an SC. You'll net an instant torque increase and HP will go up as blower drive and efficiency go up. I don't think I'd try an MPX on it but a 94 supercharger would work great.

    Will an 00 3.8 stang shortblock hold up in a stock SC application?
    93 SC Red Aod 4.2/2.3lwhipple 422rwhp 11.360
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    2018 Shootout Pro Street Runner Up
    Coming soon new motor 2300 TVS etc..
    90 35th aod stock, 90 5 speed Bolton Build in progress

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE, AR
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer View Post
    Will an 00 3.8 stang shortblock hold up in a stock SC application?
    From what I've read the block is fine, rotating assembly is a no.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by TBirdJKC View Post
    Is this the reason 99+ 3.8's were labeled as a 3.9? I'm guessing due to a slightly longer stroke?
    I believe that it was just on the 2003-2004's that the 3.9 happened.....as far as I know, Ford started using the cranks that they had in excess supply from one of the V6 trucks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,683
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FSTBRD View Post
    I believe that it was just on the 2003-2004's that the 3.9 happened.....as far as I know, Ford started using the cranks that they had in excess supply from one of the V6 trucks.
    Yes, 2004 actually and it's from the Freestar van, not the truck. I'm not sure why Ford changed the crank, but most likely it had to do with harmonics rather than any kind of performance or emissions reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Yes, 2004 actually and it's from the Freestar van, not the truck. I'm not sure why Ford changed the crank, but most likely it had to do with harmonics rather than any kind of performance or emissions reasons.
    Ah, that sounds correct!

    Not to threadjack this too much, but the cam you had spec'd for my Mustang was a great choice, Dave.....lumpy enough that it's uncivil, but still good for a street car.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,683
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FSTBRD View Post
    Ah, that sounds correct!

    Not to threadjack this too much, but the cam you had spec'd for my Mustang was a great choice, Dave.....lumpy enough that it's uncivil, but still good for a street car.
    Seems like it needs tuning. Shouldn't be that radical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Similar Threads

  1. 5.0 bored to a 347 stroker engine swap
    By jsadamsjr1986 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 09:59 AM
  2. from stock 3.8 to stroker(4.2) needing cam and other advice
    By wmullen9638 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 05:10 PM
  3. 3.8 L V6 to 5.0 L V6 STROKER KIT???
    By LXSC in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 01:45 AM
  4. Anyone have a grey driver's door panel bring it to Carlisle?
    By BlackbirdSC in forum Non Technical Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2002, 09:57 PM
  5. Who's strapping their cars to the dyno at Carlisle?
    By BlackbirdSC in forum Non Technical Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-25-2002, 07:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •