I need your guys advice

Natesriv

I'm wanting to buy this SC. I'm in Kansas City, they're in Hazard, KY (Duke Boys!)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677460905/overview/?aff=tyeminvu&cmp=usedinv

I can buy this car tomorrow if I want, but I'm hesitant... it's been on this site for about 2 months... it looks pristine, but any car with low miles after 20+ years is a cause to hold on and check...
You guys have any thoughts?

I'm a long time forum user, I used to have a 96 Riviera, where I was on their forums
large.jpg

I'm now on the Chevy Sonic forums with my 38+mpg pocket rocket
large.jpg

Thoughts welcome. I've never driven a Thunderbird Super Coupe...but man I'd love to own one!!!

Thanks,
Nate

feel free to PM me!:)

Seems a tad high priced...might be slightly inflated so they can negotiate live. Looks clean in those photos, but not fully optioned. Would love to see what it looks like under the hood. Not sure the interior is original...

As well, the 'specs' seem like they're blended from another vehicle (LX? Lincoln?):
- 4-corner (auto) leveling suspension - not true...the SC has electronic shocks that can be on/off firm - no 'leveling'.
- fuel is premium, not regular
- disc brakes are both front/rear...if it has rear drums, it's not an SC
- both outside mirrors are usually power - I can see the switch for both in the photos, so they were just sloppy w/the add, I guess
- tire diameter is 16", not 15"

I'd do a carfax, and check it out in person. See: http://kentidwell.net/SC/SC_BuyersGuideV1.0.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! And the attachment!
I did a carfax like site, has several records, no wrecks or stolen. Does show a few instances of the HVAC fan making a noise, and a possible coolant leak, plus the normal recalls... there is a rather larger gap after the late 90's early 00's where's there's nothing.
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php

Seems legit... nothing out of the ordinary.

I know it's not leather, I don't see a display which is above the head unit, I've seen in other pics & videos... It'd need tinting. I don't see any head gasket stuff. Does the s/c motor just blow head gaskets at whim?

I've always wanted one, but without driving it... That's a big leap of faith to take!

I NEED TO DRIVE ONE!!! I can walk away, life will go on... Seems (like you pointed out) it's about $1500 high

Last edited:
That pdf talks about head gaskets. Best way to trash them is to beat on the car ;)

Again, a photo or look under the hood would tell much more.

Ken

One minor note in regards to the mileage. It is a very common problem for the odometer gears to break, which causes the odometer to stop accumulating. It is not that hard to fix, and the new gears are about $50, but the tell-tale sign is the trip odometer sitting at 000.0, since once that is reset after the gears break, it also will not turn. I notice this one is also sitting at 000.0, which could just be because it is on a car lot and someone hit the button while detailing it, but if you test drive it, take note of it when you get back to see if it has moved. If it hasn't, then the actual mileage could well be way higher than the 81K it is showing.

Holding Off

I'm going to hold off. I just can't buy a car I have never sat in or driven.
I'll be patient....something will come up.

Thanks amigos!

Back