Electric to Manual Brakes Swap - Finally

decipha

Well its finally coming down to it, the electric brakes on my 92 titanium sc have failed, the previous owner operated it with a bad accumulator and it has now shot the pump. I tried swapping it with one of my spare assemblies but its pump is shot too. So now im looking to swap in manual brakes.

I had an old 92 5.0 tbird parts car i took a known good booster from. Even with the engine out of the car I fought with the booster for 30 minutes trying to pull it out and when I finally got it the center piece broke. I further broke it trying to install it in my SC. I tried to get one from the parts store but theyre all special order. The only way i can see it being removed or installed is with a vac pump and vice grips locking the shaft collapsed.

As for a master i went to autozone and bought one for a 93 crown vic when i got it home i realized its the exact same as the master on the 92 tbird except all the ports are accessible. Anyway, it didnt come with a reservior so i went to pull a part to look, found a 91 vic and snatched the master with it as well as a spare reservior just in case. The 91 master was the only 3 port master there out of a total of seventeen 91-95 crown vics they had!!!! I did manage to snatch a few of the port adapters from various town cars marquis and the sort.

Anyway for anyone doing this swap i have a word of advice. The main power harness wiring needs to be pulled forward and zip tied. If it is not there is not enough clearance for the booster to go in fully. I have attached a pictorial where you can see i have it zip tied to the strut mount washer.

Also FYI, cut the mat out around the new hole for the booster, if you dont the nut isnt strong enough to pop it out even if u cut it all the way through on the inside.

Attachments

• IMAG0871.jpg
    IMAG0871.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 188
SC brake swap

Thanks for the heads up. I am about to start on this same task with my 91 blackbird. What might help everyone is a photo
step by step as you started on the forum The gasket your trimming for booster clearance I presume might be done with simple
measurements. How much do you estimate the firewall gasket needs to be additional relief cut from the original hole size?
I have all the parts from a Non ABS 1991 t-bird. All new. On other car forums I have been a contributing member of the
photo sequence is a much better method. I'd be curious to learn if the 93-95 cars are different in this respect than the
89-92.

Thanks for the heads up. I am about to start on this same task with my 91 blackbird. What might help everyone is a photo
step by step as you started on the forum The gasket your trimming for booster clearance I presume might be done with simple
measurements. How much do you estimate the firewall gasket needs to be additional relief cut from the original hole size?
I have all the parts from a Non ABS 1991 t-bird. All new. On other car forums I have been a contributing member of the
photo sequence is a much better method. I'd be curious to learn if the 93-95 cars are different in this respect than the
89-92.

I wrote up a pretty detailed how to guide a while back. While it is not a step by step picture guide, i think it will get most people through the swap. Its in the members forum, so you have to be a paying member to see it. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?136547-89-ABS-Brake-Conversion-Elimination

well a little follow up

since my spare electric master was shot i figured id snatch a known good one out of my other black 90, swapped it in and still nothing :( so figuring there was an electrical issue i jumped the relay and the pump wouldnt run, i verified juice at the connector thus it had to be a bad pump, so at my wits end i primed up the master in yet another of my 90s and removed it, slapped it in and presto! Seems to be working fine. Amazing in 3 weeks time I went from having 4 good working electric masters to now only having 1. In any case its working as of this moment but i know it wont last.

As an aside the fuel pump that went out in my titanium 91 by the graces of god decided to prime itself just a few minutes ago when i went to prime the now dead master in it. (Its gotta be the fp relay)

Anywho, since the older style boosters are such a pain im highly considering swapping in the newer 93+ style booster and master. They are much more plentiful in the yards and i figure newer couldnt hurt. abs / no abs is a non issue since the abs module doesnt providing normal braking force it will be fine. My friend bill has the same setup on his 89 that his mechanic did in the early 00s (after he went through 3 electric assemblies) and his setup is absolutely perfect.

I'll post up pics and a how to step by step when the time comes (if im not too drunk), i figure i gotta do it to 4 of my supercoupes now so I should be able to manage a pic or two.

It wont be til after christmas, im hoping ol andrea doesnt let me down before then

and yet theres more, so this morning on my way to work she wouldnt shift out of 2nd. The 1-2 shift is perfect, then it just hangs 2nd and never shifts to 3rd. Stoopid AOD, ill be swapping in a 4r70w when time allows

Good afternoon

When was the last time the ATF was changed? Could be a servicing problem. Check the T.V. cable and busing. Try LUBEGARD red before removing and or tear down of the transmission.

Good Luck.

Back