how much do we save in weight?? aje "K" member setup...

pro street rich

Well a while ago I ordered a "K" member with the upper and lower a arms as well as a set of coil overs for one of my birds. The stuff just got here today and from the shipping label all this stuff hits the scale at 106 lbs. Now that is with the shipping boxes and wrapping paper, so drop say 5 lbs and you are right at 100 lbs with all the hardware as well. Also this is with the spindles and all of it's mounting plates and engine mounts.. Now I know that everyone always wants to know how much it is so here you go. When I get out in the shop I will drop the old stuff off the car and get a weight for all of that.. I know it has to be almost twice that so lets see what I got to save here....Will keep you all in on this as it goes...Rich

Love to see a breakdown of the weight from each part (new and old) if you've got the time. I'd like to know how much the control arms and strut rods that they provide weigh.

Last edited:
When I weighed a stock K-member with the strut rods and LCA's attached years ago it came in at 82 lbs (on an accurate freight scale, not a cheapo bathroom scale).

not much then...

with the normal number sounding like 80 lbs then if you save maybe 10 lbs with the upper arms there is not much saving here?? I know with the lighter brake set up there will be some but not that much. The coil over's are maybe going to be 10 more so that is not much here... Oh well I will get into the shop this weekend I hope and then we should have some better numbers. But for now I don't think it will be anywhere near what Kevin said he got....Rich

it looks good..

I guess I got to say that it does look good and it will give me some more needed room under this thing.. but was it money well spent?? the jury is still out on that one, but it is not looking like it was the smartest thing to do this go round....Rich

Just meant for that to provide clarification that it was a trusted scale. Nothing else intended.
I know Rod, I'm glad you weighed it with a good scale. I just threw it up on the old bathroom scale I have in the garage for weighing stuff before I ship it through ups.

What Kevin said about 275# is here:....

Definitely makes more sense. I couldn't imagine that it would save that much with just the aje parts. I have a tubular K, but retain the stock control arms and strut rods. I suspected a few lb's could be shaved off switching to tubular components but not a ton. The stock-style dampers w/ springs and iron spindles are pretty significant so I can believe a lot could be saved in those areas.

Not a lot of weight savings with the k-member alone. My variant weights about 19-20lb less.

I understand we all love the idea of weight savings and that is definitely a plus. I have wanted one not only for a weight savings but just the room it looks to free up on working on anything underneath.

the reasons I went this way..

I understand we all love the idea of weight savings and that is definitely a plus. I have wanted one not only for a weight savings but just the room it looks to free up on working on anything underneath.

I am trying to do something weird again and need all the room. I want to run a stock hood on one of my transplants and I need to drop the engine as low as I can. I also would be fine with the weight saving but that does not look to be a big part of this.. The extra room is also the big plus on doing this... I need all the room I can get to make this simple and easy to do. Sure it will fit without this, BUT this will just give me that little extra to help keep this cool and user friendly.....Rich

A little but of weight all over adds up. I am going through my entire care removing anything that doesn't have to be there for weight savings. I don't want to have to scramble around on race day pulling crap out of my car at the track. Mine is mounted and I have a ton more room for the intercooler tubes headers etc. I am also going to use heim joint boots to cover them and grease them with a turkey injector periodically so the squeaky noises arnt an issue.

I am trying to do something weird again and need all the room. I want to run a stock hood on one of my transplants and I need to drop the engine as low as I can. I also would be fine with the weight saving but that does not look to be a big part of this.. The extra room is also the big plus on doing this... I need all the room I can get to make this simple and easy to do. Sure it will fit without this, BUT this will just give me that little extra to help keep this cool and user friendly.....Rich

So how many cubes this time :D

Back