power steering delete made simple... and it looke good..

The rack being lighter is small compared to the weight you can save from not having a pump and bracket.

True, BUT....Every 100# is worth 1/10 second in 1/4 mi...... Can't find a place to remove 100#s? Find 100 places to remove 1....;)

Especially on the front end and/or unsprung weight

Adam

Hey Rich this is interesting. Looks great with the chrome. Might have to think about doing this. What was the part numbers on the U joint and double d shaft?

got some for you..

Hey Rich this is interesting. Looks great with the chrome. Might have to think about doing this. What was the part numbers on the U joint and double d shaft?

I got the joint from Behling's race car store in butler, and I have some extra double "D" shaft that I can hook you up with. I had to buy 24" to get my chunk that I used....Let me know....Rich

Once we delete the power steering what would the belt wrap look like? With AC delete it would definitely be a shorter belt. So, crank pulley over and around the jackshaft, under and up the side of the water pump, over top the tensioner and the alternator and back down to the crank...

Once we delete the power steering what would the belt wrap look like? With AC delete it would definitely be a shorter belt. So, crank pulley over and around the jackshaft, under and up the side of the water pump, over top the tensioner and the alternator and back down to the crank...

Anthony,
I think mine is like a 51" belt now with A/C delete and manual steering rack combo. It was something like an 89.7" belt originally.

Remember the crank drives the jackshaft separately still, so that belt stays the same as it was.

I used a tensioner from a Mustang with a grooved pulley that puts tension on the new shorter belt from the opposite direction it used to go (hence the grooved pulley)

Now the only thing the main drive belt is running is the water pump and alternator via the crank pulley.

Will have to look up part # I bought when I get home to let you know what I used.

Smitty

I had multiple leaks with the power steering and pulled the trigger on this a while ago for my '93 Lincoln Mark VIII. :D

IMG_1745.jpg

The tie rod ends needed to be shortened so as to make room for the jam nuts.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

Of course the steering joint needed changed to accommodate the smaller steering shaft.

IMG_1747.jpg

The short belt solution was a 6 rib 48" belt with a ribbed tensioner pulley from a V6 Mustang.

IMG_1775.jpg

I have a 6 rib billet aluminum 70mm diameter pulley that will fit in place of the plastic Mustang piece but it needs some machine work on the backside and a step bushing to fit. This will do for now. :rolleyes:

I've sure liked the idea of replacing the power steering in my SC, but am too chicken since I street drive it mostly. -40lbs would be nice too!!! :eek:

break out the "big boy" pants..

I've sure liked the idea of replacing the power steering in my SC, but am too chicken since I street drive it mostly. -40lbs would be nice too!!! :eek:

Just go for it... once the car is moving it is fine. Sure you got to work on parking if you are on the street, but what the heck... just think of the big arms you will have and all the girls you will get...lol..... I drove a manual steering car all weekend and I am still able to type today......:eek:Rich

Just go for it... once the car is moving it is fine. Sure you got to work on parking if you are on the street, but what the heck... just think of the big arms you will have and all the girls you will get...lol..... I drove a manual steering car all weekend and I am still able to type today......:eek:Rich

I've got enough girls already, Rich! ;)

I see chiropractor visits...glass half empty. lol

How are the manual racks doing??? I am going to order my stuff in the next couple of days. Car wont be ready for shootout anyway so I am going to go ahead and do this while its in the air... Is it a Flaming River?? or ????

I am happy with them.

How are the manual racks doing??? I am going to order my stuff in the next couple of days. Car wont be ready for shootout anyway so I am going to go ahead and do this while its in the air... Is it a Flaming River?? or ????

I got two different cars with this in them. they both were simple to put in and I don't have any issues driving them on the street.. How about the rest of you that went this way?? simple, easy, and it works..... what more can you ask for on a S.C. something that you CAN work on AND something that REALLY works.....Rich

Different inner rods?

So my only issue with my rack was the inner rods were longer than stock. I had to cut a inch off my outer tie rods and weld back together to work. Still waiting on a email tune for my car, yet to start up and drive on the street.

No issues here either! Even with 255 tires on the front it isn't very hard to steer standing still. Like Rich said, rather easy once you start moving at all. With skinnys on it turns sitting still like it was power.

No regrets at all.

Oh I did swap out tie rod ends from a dodge caravan for a perfect fit.

Back