Clutch trouble shooting

It's fine, replace the clutch disc.

[edit] Damn, I said it again. lol sorry
Sounds like me, on an unrelated topic, with "check your engine mounts.. and no I'm not joking!" over allll the years.. its disbelief until they find out their problem was the mounts. That is until the NEXT one comes along ;)

On the actual related topic, FWIW, I can state that I haven't had any problems with a stage 2 clutch, CF blockers, and using GM syncromesh fluid.

Last edited:
...but you would be better off putting one between the crank and flywheel.

Circling back to my shim question on the 26th, I second that idea. Might even save the expense of another disc, especially when the one that came out only has 4k on it so far.

If you consider the physics involved, installing a shim will have no impact on the result in this case.

Is it recommended to lubricate the splines of the input shaft? the manual says something like a lithium grease. Ive done it with grease and without. Im always afraid of that crap getting on the clutch surfaces. What do you guys use?

The disk will be here Wed, so hopefully i can slam it back together tomorrow night.

Is it recommended to lubricate the splines of the input shaft? the manual says something like a lithium grease. Ive done it with grease and without. Im always afraid of that crap getting on the clutch surfaces. What do you guys use?

The disk will be here Wed, so hopefully i can slam it back together tomorrow night.
Only with a dry lube. Anything else will get all over everything.

Over multiple transmissions, multiples disks, I've never lubricated the splines.

I like the pointers in this 2004 comment...

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?73485-Tranny-shim-questions

And 2006:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?73485-Tranny-shim-questions&p=498541#post498541

And 2013:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?130743-Centerforce-clutch&p=1040467#post1040467

Can't imagine what to do if both a new disc and shims don't cure the problem, but if both are done at the same time there would be no way to know if only one was actually needed, so... ;)

Good luck in any case.

Ken

David was right

I got the new disk installed Thursday night, but had some trouble getting the transmission back in... Friday I bought a harbor freight trans jack (looks like a scissor lift) and it worked great. Im not a big harbor freight fan, but that was money well spent. The trans went back in easier than ever before. While I had the transmission out, I tore it apart and put Mike Pucketts CF 1-4 blockers back in and used the solid brass Cobra transmission 5-R blockers. I filled the trans with 3 quarts of ACDelco 10-4006 Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid and one 4oz bottle of Motorcraft XL3 Friction Modifier.

Ive driven the car about 70 miles now. 3 completely cold starts, probably a dozen stops, and who knows how many stop lights without a problem.

Looking at the old disk, there is not an obvious problem... at least one that I can see. Thinking back on things, when the motor was built, the clutch was installed brand new. The car had maybe 1 mile on it before it hit the dyno for tuning. So the brand new clutch got repeated full power pulls without any real break in. Maybe this was the cause, because this issue has been a problem for 4 years, ever since I got the car running again. The problem became more pronounced once I installed the B&M short throw shifter. So, a big Thank You to David for his advice on this one. Its really nice to drive the car, without having to fight it into gear. Its like it should be now.

In case anyone ever needs the part number for the Centerforce Dual Friction Disk... its part number DF281226

"David was right"

Rule #1 David is ALWAYS right......

Rule #2 when in doubt, see rule #1....

:D:p:D:p

LOL!!!

Been my experience with the man any way

Adam

Back