Thread: My Braille battery finally died, so naturally my car got lighter

My Braille battery finally died, so naturally my car got lighter

Remember this little guy?

It had a pretty good run: nearly 9 years, and that's decent by the standards of any battery, let alone one that small. I've actually been waiting on it to die for a while now so I could replace it with something lighter.

I chose the Battery Tender BTL14A240C because I've been using one for the past two years in my LS1 Camaro and have been very impressed with it--no problems at all. I haven't taken any pics of it in the SC yet, but here's the one I put in my Camaro next to a PC680 for size reference:

The Braille weighs 11 lb, 9 oz and has 220 CCA; the new battery weighs 1 lb, 12 oz, but has 240 CCA. And the lithium iron stuff is much safer than some of the older lithium batteries that were known for catching on fire.

low price

Seems really reasonable. Is this something you could dependably use in a dd? What do you do about the connections? I've never used anything but a stock battery, pretty ignorant about all things really.

The connection was easy. Just get some posts like this:

The new battery came with special rectangular nuts that go under the terminals. Just screw the posts into those nuts.

As for daily use, they're not ideal. If all you do is start and drive, you'll be fine, but they don't have much reserve capacity. My IC fan comes on with the key on accessory, and I don't let it go for too long without the engine running. Whenever I use an AC compressor to air up my tires, I make sure the engine is running.

I also like to leave the car on a battery tender if I'm not going to drive it for more than a few days. If you park on the street, that's not very practical.

Picture:

Interesting stuff Will. I didn't realize that Battery Tender was also in the battery business!

cheers
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    ...didn't realize that Battery Tender was also in the battery business!
    Batteries, Chargers, Solar, Wireless, etc.
    http://www.batterytender.com

12V, 120 LCA Lithium Engine Start Battery
    Deltran Battery Tender's line of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) engine start batteries are designed to replace Flooded, AGM, and Gel cell lead acid batteries in Power Sport applications such as Motorcycles, ATVs, Personal Water Craft, Lawn Mowers, Utility Vehicles, Scooters, and Dirt Bikes.

My Anny isn't my DD any longer, so I put one of BT's new computerized trickle charger/conditioners on it and it's worked great for months now.

Man...that's tiny!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage