e85 conversion

dthompson

So I recently discovered that the Sheetz gas stations which are popping up every where down here are selling e85! My long term goal is to switch to the dark side, slap a turbo on my junk, and make around 550whp. So now that it appears that we have several stations selling e85 around here, its now becoming more realistic to consider E85, which makes it realistic to consider going turbo. I found a couple of threads about the subject, but I had a few questions that I did not see answered...

Fuel injector sizing:
I am currently using SD 80s. a quick look at a log shows max injector duty cycle around 70% 5500rpm... so I would estimate 83% at 6500rpm. 70% x 1.3(more fuel for e85) = 91% duty cylce. 83% x 1.3 =1.08% duty cycle Probably too close for comfort? Is this math right?

If I buy new injectors I would want to size them for the 550whp or so. From what I can tell should be around 100#/hr with e85 or 1000cc? or do I need 120#/hr. Any suggestions, size, brand, or otherwise?

Fuel pump sizing:
I assume this ultimately depends on the injector size chosen. 100#/h / 6.1#/gal = 16.3 gal x 6 cyl = 98 gph = 371 lph and that would need to be at 43 + 25 psi = 68 psi fuel pressure. I was planning on replacing the stealth 340lph pump that I have now for something that is E85 compatible. It looks like the Walbro 450 would be pretty close with 100# injectors. Any suggestions here as well. Corey mentioned the fuel lab 41402 I believe.

Fuel lines:
I plan on replacing the fuel lines with the PTFE stuff... -10 feed, filter...-6 return? What about the stock rails? are they ok? (i thought they were steel, so I figured that would be bad)...

Tuning:
Found the notes on the ZFIXEDAFR variable in the GURE strategy. I assume you change this from 14.64 to 9.85? Increase crank PW. Otherwise thats it?

This project is going to get into the pocket a little bit. Any suggestions for appropriate spending is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

No way you are at 83% DC on 80's. But either way you need 95's to cover you right now. 95's will cover you into the high 600rwhp level. You'll need an appropriate fuel system of course. I recommend a surge tank and proper pump. I'm working on a system now that will support up to 1000rwhp on E85 and still use the stock fuel tank.

No way you are at 83% DC on 80's. But either way you need 95's to cover you right now. 95's will cover you into the high 600rwhp level. You'll need an appropriate fuel system of course. I recommend a surge tank and proper pump. I'm working on a system now that will support up to 1000rwhp on E85 and still use the stock fuel tank.

Dave, what kind of power increases do you think Id see on say my car? I think I dynoed around 430 or so corrected at 6,000 rpm on 93 pump gas. And would the 94# injectors be large enough to do a conversion? Sheets also started selling e85 here in the last couple months.

I'm going to recommend Injector Dynamics injectors. I've had excellent results with them on a couple Marauders. The 1050x and 1300's are all stainless steel for use with e85. They are pricey but the 1300's idle well on E10 for when you need to swap. We are making 700 rwhp on the 1300's and taking them to 7k but I don't know what the duty cycle is at. I need to figure that out one day.

And a surge tank would be best like Dave suggested instead of trying to keep multiple or big pumps submerged in the stock tank.

What about the fuel rails? Are they a concern?

At min you need to split the feed from a single to feeding each bank with stock rails. If don't go with custom billet rails then have stock fuel rail cut and AN fittings welded to the stock rail. I had stock rails modified for my AR with AN ports.

I'm going to recommend Injector Dynamics injectors. I've had excellent results with them on a couple Marauders. The 1050x and 1300's are all stainless steel for use with e85. They are pricey but the 1300's idle well on E10 for when you need to swap. We are making 700 rwhp on the 1300's and taking them to 7k but I don't know what the duty cycle is at. I need to figure that out one day.

And a surge tank would be best like Dave suggested instead of trying to keep multiple or big pumps submerged in the stock tank.

No kidding about the price... but i have not seen anything in that size range that is cheap like the dekas were. Most injectors that I have seen in that 1000cc to 1200cc range are $100+ per injector.

I'm a Deatchwerks dealer and can get you decent pricing on theirs. They are E85 recommended and have all the necessary Ford parameters published. They also dynamically flow balance them, not just static. I ran 95's on my car on gas, Corey is running their 120's on gas and E85.

Sent my Deatschwerks injectors in this week for a check up. Two years of corn since the last cleaning. She said they were so good they didn't need cleaned, she replaced the filters and o rings, 40bux total including shipping back to me. Great company.

Back