ABS Pump Motor Relay

Motohead

SCCoA Member
Does anyone know if the part number (Standard RY223) is correct for a 1992 T-bird SC ABS Pump Motor Relay I purchased one from rock auto and its not working

I bought an RY223 6 months back that was correct for that application, at least on my '90 Anny.

What process did you use that led you to replace that relay?

Did it include the jumper test at the pressure switch connector under the master cylinder assembly?

What was the original issue?

I have a couple of issues the plug is bad and was making intermittent connections which burned up the contacts on the old relay I found a new plug and am going to splice it in. I just wanted to make sure on the relay part number

If this was the original relay, contacts in those examples are typically happy to burn without outside influence from a connector, so it may have been collaterally damaged in your case ;)

Sounds like you've got it covered - good luck w/the repairs.

Ken

Standard RY223

Well I spliced the new plug on and when I connect the Standard RY223 relay the 40 amp fuse blows. That made me think I got some connections reversed. To test I plugged my old relay back in. It works when I help it by manually pressing the contacts. (With the relay cover off I momentarily press down on the contacts the pump will activate and cycle) so I have to ask again. Is the Standard RY223 the proper relay for a 1992 Thunderbird SC ABS pump motor (The brown one located on the passenger firewall)

Here's a photo of the new relay says Anti-Lock Only makes me think its for the anti lock circuit not the pump motor circuit

Attachments

• RY223_RELAY.JPG
    RY223_RELAY.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Well I spliced the new plug on and when I connect the Standard RY223 relay the 40 amp fuse blows. That made me think I got some connections reversed. To test I plugged my old relay back in. It works when I help it by manually pressing the contacts. (With the relay cover off I momentarily press down on the contacts the pump will activate and cycle) so I have to ask again. Is the Standard RY223 the proper relay for a 1992 Thunderbird SC ABS pump motor (The brown one located on the passenger firewall)

Here's a photo of the new relay says Anti-Lock Only makes me think its for the anti lock circuit not the pump motor circuit
Thats right. That relay is not for the pump motor. There should be a diagram on the body of the relay that show the contacts and coil pins. I'm surprised you could get it to plug into the harness. If your initial replacement from Rockauto didn't work, you need to check that your pressure switch circuit is working. Also, there is a fuse(s) in the power distribution box behind the battery that should be checked.

Last edited:
If there is a wiring issue, that might explain why the original connector was melted before, and why you're blowing a fuse now.

Do you have an EVTM for that SC so you can check the circuit? Any work done that might have damaged the harness?

There are two ABS related relays back there on my '90 (some have a 3rd, but it's for A/C cutout). And yes, you can't mix them up...the connectors won't let you. Do your old and new relays visually match design/pins etc?

Do you have a photo of the connector you took out?

Last edited:
Thats right. That relay is not for the pump motor. There should be a diagram on the body of the relay that show the contacts and coil pins. I'm surprised you could get it to plug into the harness. If your initial replacement from Rockauto didn't work, you need to check that your pressure switch circuit is working. Also, there is a fuse(s) in the power distribution box behind the battery that should be checked.

I thought so do you know the correct relay part number ?

If there is a wiring issue, that might explain why the original connector was melted before, and why you're blowing a fuse now.

Do you have an EVTM for that SC so you can check the circuit? Any work done that might have damaged the harness?

There are two ABS related relays back there on my '90 (some have a 3rd, but it's for A/C cutout). And yes, you can't mix them up...the connectors won't let you. Do your old and new relays visually match design/pins etc?

Do you have a photo of the connector you took out?

I purchased a used teeves system the pump worked for about 1000 miles and failed started blowing fuses (that's what melted the old plug). The plug I have installed will accept either relay my old relay works with help. I think at this point all I'm lacking is the correct relay part number.

I purchased a used teeves system the pump worked for about 1000 miles and failed started blowing fuses (that's what melted the old plug). The plug I have installed will accept either relay my old relay works with help. I think at this point all I'm lacking is the correct relay part number.

found it in the FAQ
GP Sorensen part# MR120
or
Ford PN# is either E9SZ-5K617-A or E7LB-2C013-BA

found it in the FAQ
GP Sorensen part# MR120
or
Ford PN# is either E9SZ-5K617-A or E7LB-2C013-BA

Well the ford dealer says the part has been discontinued
and I cant find the GP Sorensen part number I guess I'm off to the "parts for sale" section

Back