Acummulator went bad 92 SC i think

BossII

So my car sat for the last 2+ months until i got the rad fixed, car is running great. I noticed right away my abs and brake light came on and if i hold the brake pedal it's constantly running the pump and if i pump the brakes the brake and abs light will come on. So if it's the accumulator where do i find one? Would it be possible because the car sat for so long that something is frozen? I really don't want to have to go parts hunting nor do i want to spend 300+ or even worst spend almost 700 for a complete new unit.

They get old....and then act out pretty much as you describe, but how long does it take for the light to go out when you start the car after sitting overnite, and then how many pumps does it take to trigger the pump?

Try http://spinningwheels-sc.com - ask Victor if he has any stock.

I noticed the brake pedal was firm right away. As for pumps to trigger the light hmm 3-5 pumps maybe more maybe less never counted :D. When i turn off the car and pump the brakes the pedal doesn't go firm like it should. I'll ask him at Spinning wheels about an accumulator thank you

If I remember correctly - pump might run 40 ~ 50 seconds on start up after overnite. Pedal pumps should be more than 6 before the pump is triggered.

Yeah on start up the pump seem to run everytime, and when pushing in the brake pump would run. Then pumping it would kick on the lights. Sent spinning tires an email hopefully they get one in soon. If i were to look at pick and pull or another scrapyard what cars should i be look at? Seen a list that had buicks caddilacs and a few other gm cars had the accumulators including a few fords. That of course would be an absolute band aid solution.

If i were to look at pick and pull or another scrapyard what cars should i be look at?

I've pulled from Jags, but yes, see the list Sam provided - I went thru 2 or 3 used ones while waiting to get a new one. I'd get the last bit of umphf out of the one in the car now first. Cost me more in brake fluid ;)

I've got a write up on changing out the accumulator that may help w/that process if it's new to you.
Ken

Last edited:
Sweet was going to ask about this, thank you for the write up. Yeah gonna go to pick and pull on sunday to see if i can snag one or two. Are all of the teves Accumulators the same as the one in the SC?

Sweet was going to ask about this, thank you for the write up. Yeah gonna go to pick and pull on sunday to see if i can snag one or two. Are all of the teves Accumulators the same as the one in the SC?

There are capacity differences; the MN12s got one of the larger ones.

There's also a threading difference between some models.

Also, don't forget - all the OEM ones in the boneyard are about as old as yours.

For something like this, I'd buy a new one from Victor over at SC Spinning Wheels and get one that's good for a couple more decades, instead of one that may work half-way for a year or two.

RwP

Yeah until they get some in at spinning wheels i'm just gonna go with the one from the boneyard as a temporary fix even if it just lasts me until they get more in.

Yeah until they get some in at spinning wheels i'm just gonna go with the one from the boneyard as a temporary fix even if it just lasts me until they get more in.
Having used old accumulators to bounce off of my forehead, ;) I can say this: Get a new one as soon as you can. The pump motor life and brake capacity will be much better as a result.

There are capacity differences; the MN12s got one of the larger ones.

There's also a threading difference between some models.

Also, don't forget - all the OEM ones in the boneyard are about as old as yours.

For something like this, I'd buy a new one from Victor over at SC Spinning Wheels and get one that's good for a couple more decades, instead of one that may work half-way for a year or two.

RwP
Says Mr. "I converted mine over to conventional".. ;) :D

I was able to say ahead of the failure curve for a long time by refurbishing motors, switches, etc with a batch of used units. But its now reached a critical point due to a lack of new parts. Mainly, a lack of new EDPM motor shaft seals, case seals, and motor brushes.

Longer term, I believe the better solution is to use the hydroboost replacement. :cool:

Hydroboost replacement? I could google that but i'm feeling too lazy lol :D Yeah until they get more in stock at spinning wheels this will be a temporary fix using one from the bone yard.

Back