Bill Hull, Founder of the SCCoA

Bill Evanoff

SCCoA Lifetime Member
Bill Hull, the founder of the SCCoA and Super Coupe Performance passed away earlier this week. He will be greatly missed and all Thunderbird SC enthusiasts should be thankful he was able to set the ground work in place back in 1996 to establish our unique club we all love and enjoy.

A brief history on the club leads back to the Thunderbird Information Exchange (TIX) newsletter devoted primarily 5.0L & SC Thunderbirds back in the early '90s that was published by Paul Cornell of Arizona. Paul personally had a '91 5.0L Bird that he was steadily upgrading and he would document his work in the newsletter. He also welcomed others to write letters to him or call and share their experiences and projects. The newsletters were typically 10-15 pages and were published a few times a year. This was in the pre-Internet days so as simple as these newsletters seem, they were awesome at the time.

Bill Hull and Paul Cornell would talk periodically and Paul shared that the SC owners seemed to be more enthusiastic and really deserved their own club or newsletter and Hull decided that would be a good idea as he owned a modified SC already and had a real passion for the cars. He especially loved drag racing them. Hull was able to get a small blurb in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords in late 1995 and it stated that Hull had started a club for the Super Coupes. Well, it didn't take long before the phone started ringing off the hook at Hull's house and he thought he better make it official and started asking people to join the SCCoA which would provide members with 4 newsletters a year, club badges, car stickers and other give away items. It was around this time that I personally called Bill and introduced myself. I immediately began writing letters and tech articles that he included in the new Chargin' Thunder newsletters.

The club was still pre-Internet so there was no website or other online presence but hundreds of owners signed up and loved the newsletters and getting together at Carlisle, PA and in Columbus, OH for meets. Performance upgrade parts became the topic of discussion right away and the newsletters began including a section called "SCCoA Performance Parts" where Hull sold the few items that were developed for the cars early on and many others he developed on his own to improve the cars.

The club thrived for the first couple of years and so did the performance parts aspect of club, so much so that he asked me if I would be interested in assuming the club responsibilities as the parts business was taking all his time. I gladly accepted this opportunity and volunteered as the second club coordinator until approx. 2003. At that time I handed the club to George Davenport from Ohio and eventually George tapped David Neibert of MO, who is the current club coordinator.

Around 1998 Hull started calling the SCCoA parts business its current name of Super Coupe Performance. He had grown that business to the point where he was doing it full time. He eventually offered this business to me in 1999 and I've been blessed that it has been a thriving business all these years and still is popular to this day.

Hull was a very charismatic person who was simply fun to be around and was always the center of attention at any car meet he was at. He had a thousand stories that were always funny and witty, and he loved talking about his passion, which was the Thunderbird Super Coupe. He was likely the first person to have a SC capable of turning mid to low 13s in the quarter. That was FAST back in the mid to late '90s. He loved his kids and loved talking about his grandchildren. He would most love to be remembered as a Christian man who had a personal relationship with Jesus and everyone who has this same relationship will see him again in Heaven. He'll be the one in the black SC with the tires smokin'!

Last edited by a moderator:
I first met Bill by phone back in 96 I believe. I purchased my 94 SC new in 94 and as time went on I started looking for information on performance parts with not much success. In one issue of “Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords ” I came across a small advertisement for supercharger upgrades for the M90 from Magnuson Products and immediately called them. I spoke to a gentleman there that explained the S-Porting process for the M90 and then he ask me if I had heard of the SuperCoupe Club Of America which I had not. He gave me Bills phone # and after calling and talking to Bill I was off to the races. I believe it was the next year I met Bill at the annual Carlisle PA Ford event and he definitely knew his SC stuff. Great guy.
RIP Bill

Last edited:
Sad news - thanks for sharing the history of the early club and SCP, Bill.

It really is amazing to look back and see what all has changed, even since I've been around. Would not have been possible without the organization started by Bill and others!

R.I.P. Mr. Hull!

Oh dag. The club has had it's up and downs through the years...but I think it's hard to negate the fact that without enthusiasts like Bill Hull we would not have had a club like this.

RIP.

Bill Hull the pioneer.

i was running a 5.0 91 cougar around the time this club was being formed and because of Bill Hull's article about performance capabilities of the sc v6 i became interested. I've never met him personally, but i sure miss that i did not get the chance. i have to agree that he was the pioneer of this enthusiasm that we all share today. Can't tell you how many times i read that article, think i'll go read it again. R.I.P. brother.

Sorry to here he's gone! He was already completely removed from most everything by the time I started coming around but I heard alot about him. looks like we have suffered alot of loss in the club as of late. May they all rest in piece at the heavenly shootout!

Back