5 Speed Lower Shifter Boot

boot

Looking for the thick rubber boot that sits under the steel cover on the transmission tunnel.

i think i have 1 from my 93-5-speed, i think it's att the the under side of the shifter......i think. when i took it apart a year ago i took the entire assebly.....i have to look tonite.

If you can't find one in good enough condition and the goal is just to prevent odors coming up from your transmission tunnel, you can easily make one with a ziptie and some rubber inner tube material (obtainable from any tire shop that works on commercial tires).
I have one on my tbird track car that works both as the "under boot seal" and as a replacement for the main leather boot (because I don't care what it looks like and someone offered to buy my upper boot off me).

If you can't find one in good enough condition and the goal is just to prevent odors coming up from your transmission tunnel, you can easily make one with a ziptie and some rubber inner tube material (obtainable from any tire shop that works on commercial tires).
I have one on my tbird track car that works both as the "under boot seal" and as a replacement for the main leather boot (because I don't care what it looks like and someone offered to buy my upper boot off me).

It's flexible enough to move with the shifter and stay attached to the floor?

It's flexible enough to move with the shifter and stay attached to the floor?

It all depends on how well you put it together.
- I made the "flap" big enough to be held down by the metal plate and the bolts that hold the plate down (they go through the rubber sheet). I essentially made the sheet bigger than I needed and trimmed it to fit.
- The hole for the shifter in the center is small enough that the shifter stub is held with tension by the rubber. A ziptie that goes over a small amount of the rubber sheet and around the metal shaft adds further security. You then flip the rubber sheet downwards so it's covering the ziptie and make sure there's enough slack so that the shifter can move.

Since it's hard to imagine what I'm talking about, I took a few pics using some stand ins on my desk. Keep in mind that a rubber inner tube wont tear as easily as this tissue. You can also double up on the zipties to be extra paranoid.
I don't care what it looks like and it seals well. Because racecar. For you, if you mount this low enough you will be able to put the stock shifter over it and you won't see it either.

shifter1.jpgshifter2.jpgshifter3.jpgshifter4.jpg

You can see it here. The button looking thing on top of the shifter was the push to talk button from my old comm system. My zipties are at the fat point of the shifter shaft (upon which a proper boot would probably rest). I think i redid it for aesthetic reasons (probably because I was bored and looking for projects ABOVE the fat section when I removed the PTT button). There's no reason why you couldn't attache your DIY lower boot lower down the shaft.
tbirdinterior_sep2014_1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know what time it is???? LOL - I love that clock in the center console

I use this tbird for endurance racing. This was the easy solution to make sure drivers knew when to pit.
Guaranteed visibility, requires very little change in focus from a driver compared to a digital dash clock, and (not that we need it) easy to see the time even if things get super shaky.
You too could have one for $2 from IKEA.

shifter boot

Definitely!

the boot is att to plate. i also found the shifter ~~~, and 2 other foam pieces. make offer. thx tony.the pics i took is not loading for some reason, i have to resize it. send me ur cell and i;ll txt it to ya.

Back