Driving Cross County with my 89' Thunderbird Super Coupe

Spencerm69

Hey Crew,

I'm picking up my dad's 1989 Ford Thunderbird that has been sitting for over 1 year. I tire needs to be replaced, a side mirror and the license plates! Anything I need to know about this car before making the Long haul from New York, NY to Houston, TX? Any members along the way that I can pitstop in or meet? Please reply back to my thread, my trip will be at the end of May 28th, 2017. What maintenance do I need to do before driving 2000 miles? Oil change, Tires? Fluid? Everything?

Thanks,

Spencer:eek:

I would at the very least change the oil and make sure the cooling system is in good shape. I'm in NJ, and I have a mirror for you if you need one, and I have a shop, so if you need any work done on it prior to heading out, I can help with that.

Coolant

Definitely check coolant and head gaskets. Check the brakes, probably need to be bleed.
Why was the car parked for a year? Any known issues?
As dumb as it sounds I would check the windshield wipers too.
I will be in Atlanta between the 26th and 29th. Notools but I will have a car for the week end in case you need lift.

Good luck!!!

Oh boy, I would change the oil...battery,prob need some brake fluid...tires,check out the coolant and drive it locally for a day or 2 to make sure the fan works and the motor doesn't run hot!!!! The brake pedal will prob feel hard like most do due to the not so nice Teves b.s.

Squirrels or mice could have chewed through the spark plug wires....

Good luck and hope you make your destination!

Back