Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCoupeDave View Post
    I've been on the waiting list for almost 2 years. Doesn't look good.
    Not a good sign for the future of our Teves II. Victor was our saviour for a while. I'm a special case.. I have spares scattered in my garage which I splice together to keep them going. But I recognize its only a matter of time before I'll be out of luck. I'd highly recommend looking into the Hydro-boost units as an alternative when your Teves bites the dust.. which they all will eventually.

I'm going to look into the hydro-boost setup. The nice thing about it is that I won't have to fiddle with any electrical, which I obviously haven't been able to wrap my mind around...

Purchased a hydroboost system today, should be here in two weeks. I'll update as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by smac View Post
    Purchased a hydroboost system today, should be here in two weeks. I'll update as it goes.
    Congrats. I'm sure you'll be better off in the long run.

Well, we're back! FINALLY got the hydroboost kit. My question is this, to those with experience performing this swap: how difficult/possible is it to perform this installation without disassembling half the engine? I don't have the equipment to remove the intercooler tubing. There is a video on the website on how to install the kit on the car, but they used an SC with a turbo v8 swap. So the power steering pump and lines are in slightly different places. Working with an SC, 'slightly different' can mean a world of difference...

Has anyone performed this installation on a factory car and can give me tips?

...Or should I risk the mechanic route?

Well, we're back! FINALLY got the hydroboost kit. My question is this, to those with experience performing this swap: how difficult/possible is it to perform this installation without disassembling half the engine? I don't have the equipment to remove the intercooler tubing. There is a video on the website on how to install the kit on the car, but they used an SC with a turbo v8 swap. So the power steering pump and lines are in slightly different places. Working with an SC, 'slightly different' can mean a world of difference...

Has anyone performed this installation on a factory car and can give me tips?

...Or should I risk the mechanic route?

It most certainly is possible without disassembling half the engine. I think most went with a standard brake swap as it works just fine and is much cheaper so I am not sure how many have went the hydro-boost route. I purchase mine from Sweeting Performance Engineering Marketing & Design. I bought the entire kit with all of the hoses.

Just keep in mind that your not only modifying your brakes but also your steering.

Replacing the master cylinder is pretty straight forward. For the most part its remove the old and install the new. I found it helpful to pull the front seat to better access under the dash. Under the hood you will need to use the adapters supplied in the kit to connect the brake lines as the ports will be different configuration as the stock abs.

If you want to install with out disconnecting the connections at the pump and at the rack you can locate the high pressure line on the k-member and splice into it. You will need the adapters from the kit and will need to make the connections on the hard line portion of the hose.

The low pressure hose can be cut and a t-fitting installed. Follow the hose from the bottom of the power steering pump that is the low pressure side.

I will see what pics I have but i no longer have it in this configuration as I pulled the engine and connected directly to the rack and the pump before I installed the new engine back in.

Added Pic. If you look at the connections for the power steering rack and follow the hard line you can see where I cut for the high pressure connections. The lines below are the low pressure side and they run over to the power steering cooler on passenger side next to the radiator. [ATTACH=CONFIG]67697Name:  IMG_0390small.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  134.7 KBName:  IMG_0444small.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  137.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sanddune24; 09-12-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks for the pictures! Wow. That's gonna be tight. Is there any place the high pressure line from the pump to the rack is rubber, so I can cut it?

Thanks for the pictures! Wow. That's gonna be tight. Is there any place the high pressure line from the pump to the rack is rubber, so I can cut it?
    I don't recall if there is a rubber portion. If there is you don't want to cut it there.

A tubing cutter will cut the hard line easily. Just be sure you have the correct fittings.

Alright. I think I got this! Did the kit you ordered (the exact kit I ordered) come with fittings for adapting the new lines to the high-pressure line, once cut?