ABS Pump Motor Priming

Motohead

SCCoA Member
I posted this in the members forum as well
So my 92 blew out the rear passenger side brake caliper and lost all the brake fluid I have replaced the caliper and fluid but the ABS pump motor wont prime and build pressure it runs but never builds pressure. the ABS system was running fine before the caliper failed whats the trick to this ?

Good morning

You might want to try this. This is under the assumption the the accumulator is good.

Check the TEVES reservoir supply line to the pump for leaking. Replace if necessary.

De-service the system. Key off. Depress brake peddle at least 25 times.

Unscrew a few threads but do not remove the accumulator. Turn key on engine off. Observe pressure forcing fluid out of the accumulator/TEVES unit. Purge the air pocket out of the TEVES unit a few times to clear the system.

Once fluid is observed forcefully coming out of the accumulator/TEVES key off. Tighten the accumulator. Clean the surrounding area. There must be a ton of air in the system because the rear caliper replacement and you will have to bleed the brakes. Rear brake bleeding require the TEVES unit powered up.

Good Luck.

got it thanks for the info!!
I've run across this problem many times as well. Couple of things you can try. With the key on, pump the brake pedal a number of times.. If that doesn't work, you can also try opening one of the rear bleeder valves, and pumping the pedal a few times.. 3rd, you can loosen the high pressure line at the top of the main valve and turn the key on and pump the pedal again. Lastly, apply air pressure to the reservoir with the pump running to push fluid into the pump to "spread" the vanes out enough to grab the fluid and start forcing it into the accumulator. You'll know if you get it when you hear the motor whine start to slow down.

Back