Another Spark Plug Question

scotty54

I found info here on this forum that recommended plugs include the Motorcraft AWSF34PP or Autolite PP2544 (among others). My local O'Rielly lists the Motorcraft AGSF34FM for my 94 SC. The box calls it "fine wire platinum." Anyone know the difference between the two Motorcraft numbers? The AWSF number was not in their database. They did have the Autolites though.

PP typically indicates dual platinum, which, in our cars, is used because of the waste spark system, where current flows from shell-to-electrode on one stroke, and electrode-to-shell on the other (waste).

AGSF34FM might just be a recommendation that caters more to reduction of part numbers and/or perhaps just a cheaper version of dual plats.

In searching previous posts about spark plugs I found a review of the Motorcraft AGSF34FM that was not very good. The Autolite PP 2544 (the other forum favorite) is not available but the APP 5144 is. Guess I will give them a try.

Ford did some number swapping a long while ago. I believe they got rid of AWSF. And I think the difference between the AWSF and AGSF was the metal material they used ASWF black AGSF nickel. Maybe Fast Ed will chime in.

Back