DrFishbone Engine Build Thread 2017

So...power steering rack is replaced, transmission and engine are back together and installed.

I had a major hang-up this weekend though. I went to drain the remaining fluid out of the new-to-me transmission and found a LOT of metal junk - including shavings - on the drain plug magnet. :(:(:(:(:(:(:( Removed the top cover and after checking the synchro gaps (all 0.8mm or more), I found the issue - one of the middle partition bolts had backed out and was riding against the face of 5th gear, the hex part of the bolt was worn down about 1/2 way. :(:eek: Also found the top bolt (closest) was also working it's way loose. Without the time or proper tools to disassembly the transmission and torque is properly, I opted to tighten in-place, which required a crow's foot wrench and 1/4" drive ratchet for the lower bolt. I tried to get a little bit of loctite on the threads of each in hopes that would help keep them from backing out again. The other bolts I could check were a least 14ft-lbs.

Finally got that snugged-up last night and got the transmission dropped in, then the engine. For some reason, my motor mounts don't line up very well anymore. They want the motor/transmission to rest about 1/2" further back than most SC combos I've worked on. It takes some ulling / aligning to get the motor mount bolts in.The transmission mount stud rests at the very back of the crossmember slot. :confused: I had noted header fitment issues that I believe are caused by this earlier, so I suspect I'll need to figure this out and fix it. I'm thinking that I need to slot the holes for the motor mounts, which will let me pull everything towards the front of the motor a little bit. :rolleyes:

Anyways, things are coming along. Hopefully I'll be able to start up this long weekend!

IMG_4836.JPG
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4873.jpg

Last edited:
I thought your supposed to use Mercon V for power steering?

Mercon V = ATF ?

:confused:

The way they name these hydraulic fluids is very confusing.

Then you have the cool guys that name their fluid "Power steering Fluid".

I had my wife pick up some ATF fluid - better make sure it's the right kind.....

Last edited:
I'm excited for my 30minute open-header cruise to Jacob's house after it's together! LOL!!!

Lift + MIG + Jacob's entertainment factor = much more productive and comfortable!

A crowfoot wrench requires an additional amount of torque to compensate for the reduced leverage.

A crowfoot wrench requires an additional amount of torque to compensate for the reduced leverage.

Depending on the angle. ;)

That did occur to me though....it had to be done "by feel" so we'll just have to see what happens. I'd like to think that someone rebuilding a transmission would have done it right the first time, but it's possible it was under-torqued I guess. Hopefully it stays for awhile. :eek:

I'm excited for my 30minute open-header cruise to Jacob's house after it's together! LOL!!!

Lift + MIG + Jacob's entertainment factor = much more productive and comfortable!

Don't forget AIR CONDITIONING and propper lighting instead of the amish candle thing you have going on lol

Worked on the car for a little bit of time yesterday...thanks to Jacob, got some solid steel pucks to use for motor mounts for the time being. 3" on the driver's side and approx. 2 3/4" on the passenger side gave the headers some clearance. This also let the trans mount end up closer to center in the crossmember. I didn't see any markings on the crossmember that denoted the direction, but did notice there is a small hole on the driver's side where the wire loom attaches....so it appears to be on correctly.

Hopefully will be able to get the motor mount done tonight and start throwing all the accessories back on soon!!!

What are you actually going to use for motor mounts?

I suppose I'll be doing some Turbo-Chuck style mounts. The steel for mounts would be thick enough that my old timey arc welder would work well...lol. Grab some polyurethane pucks like are normally used for lift kits...I don't know.

Got everything buttoned up, fluids refilled and fired it up! I only ran it open-headers in the garage for a few minutes since it was almost bedtime for the kids. I'm not too happy with where the header collectors ended up, so hopefully I can make some adjustments to those tonight.

Need to get it out and do some shakedowns....but time is running out before the midwest bash! :eek: Still need to put the SCT slot MAF in there and tweak the tune too. Anyone know how it compares to the factory Ford slot MAF? It should be a constant multiplier for kg/hr vs voltage.

I have a set of Chuck`s solid mounts for my brother`s car. Will be dropping the engine in soon.

I took the car out driving a little more this weekend...been working on some little things here and there....vacuum leaks, reworking the MAF curve for the SCT MAF (4" tube + SCT BA5000?....why not?!) I won't lie, it's tricky working with it at the low end....Idle is around 0.6 - 0.7V and getting it to rev-down without dying was next to impossible. I wondered if letting adaptive make adjustments would help while tuning, and it does help alot. I need to work on the startup tables some....it's too rich especially when 40°F outside. Occasionally, it will still die at a stop sign, rather than idle down smoothly. I need to re-adjust the throttle body (back to what it was)....from experience, that helps the computer control the RPM more naturally, rather than a 2k rpm surge for a few seconds as you coast to a stop.

WOT feels great, but is also too rich. I'm sure once I get the fueling straightened out everywhere, I'll be wanting to drive it all the time. :)

Yesterday, Danielle and I took both of our SC's out to Palmyra...I didn't think to get a picture of both together, but I did grab an impromptu one of her:IMG_5400.JPG

Last edited:
Back