Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 90 sc running pig rich need help

I did check tps and it was fine, along with fuel pressure after shut off also check fuel pressure regulator and it is not leaking. I will have to get my notes on monday to give actual readings from the bo box. Will reply with more info then

xr7 dave can you give me some info on ford computer failure and how to check them. Can you give me some info on what to look at and or for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja38 View Post
    xr7 dave can you give me some info on ford computer failure and how to check them. Can you give me some info on what to look at and or for.
    The easiest test is to run all codes. You should be able to perform all tests and receive "all clear" signals on all routines. If the EEC will perform the tests and give you either all clear or trouble codes, then 99% says it's fine. Other than that a known good EEC is your best resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

can we post vids on this forum and if so what kind of kb/gb

well we dont have a obd 1 scanner at our shop, now if it was a vw benz bmw id be fine but we dont do the domestic stuff here, and running codes its the really crappy obd1 ford junk, eng off enging running but i never got verry far hence the break out box, again verry fun to find. But we had a 3000gt vr4 that was kinda doing same thing. Run rich lean ect and even though the ecm had all the inputs, grounds, power ect. It would just not control fuel for some reason and it was about the same year. If the ecm is bad will it just dump fuel if the inj drivers are well screwed? and again on a fresh boot with no learned fuel trims.
    Last edited by Ninja38; 05-25-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Something's missing

Very odd if it's only been sitting for a year. I've had one case where an injector stuck open, but it was from a used set that I purchased, lord only knows their history. If shutdown FP is holding, rule that out.

I'm just learning the basics of tuning, but here's some ideas:

1. Would a misfire on 2 cylinders create a supposed rich condition? I'm thinking I witnessed rich on my narrow Bands when I (as many others have) connected 2 spark plug wires backwards at the coil pack.

2. With engine idling, kill power to the fuel pump. If rich, Rpm's should momentarily increase. Just to confirm mixture state.

3. Once found a beetle bug in the MAF sample tube, caused all sorts of havoc.

4. Weak spark?

5. Is this a customers car or new purchase? Any number of things could have been messed up. If rich at idle but lean at wot, almost sounds like MAF is unplugged? Unplug MAF while running and see what happens?

6. Are you sure you checked the ecm coolant sensor? Right side, near ac compressor.

Sounds like your more inclined than me, sometimes fresh ideas go a long way.

Best luck,
    JJ

With the ECM anything is possible, but these are pretty robust so unless someone did something (like connect the battery cables backward) it's pretty rare that they would fail. Temporarily swapping in a known good ECM is about the only way to verify this. I guess one could put a noid light in to see if they are pulsing, but 99% says they are.

Without a code reader you can use the paperclip method (lots of online instructions for that). You'll also need the user instructions too (when to goose the throttle, etc.) and how to read the results. But I think this is an important test. If the ECM is fried, it likely won't initiate the tests. The code test also checks for response to change in commanded AFR vs. 02 sensors and things like that so again, passing or at least performing this test will rule out a lot of guessing. The engine running code test also includes a cylinder balance test that will pinpoint weak cylinders.

I've never had an ECM with bad injector drivers, so I can't say for sure how that would act, but if the ECM is fubar, the car will run super rich. In fact it will barely run at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

How much vacuum is the car making at idle?
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 470.8 469.8 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

So i got my hands on a ford obd1 scan tool and it looks like the computer is trashed. When i try to run any of the programs it just crashes. But i need help now getting the proper computer i have a pic of mine but it does not seem to match up to the ones for a 1990 sc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

these are the choices that rockauto has

A-1 CARDONE 784857 {#F0SF12A650MA, F0SZ12A650MA} Reman. Engine Control Computer Info
    4 speed trans.; Units are pre-programmed at the factory.; Correct VIN and OE Number Required When Ordering.; with Federal Emissions (Only 3 Remaining)
    Previous Image

Next Image
    $86.89 $20.00 $106.89
    Add to Cart
    A-1 CARDONE 784763 {#E9SF12A650JC, E9SZ12A650J2C, E9SZ12A650JC} Reman. Engine Control Computer Info
    5 speed trans.; Units are pre-programmed at the factory.; Correct VIN and OE Number Required When Ordering.; I.D. #(s) E9SF-JC; with Federal Emissions (Only 3 Remaining)
    Previous Image

Next Image
    $75.79 $60.00 $135.79
    Add to Cart
    A-1 CARDONE 784405 {#F0SF12A650LA, F0SZ12A650LA} Reman. Engine Control Computer Info
    5 speed trans.; Units are pre-programmed at the factory.; Correct VIN and OE Number Required When Ordering.; I.D. #(s) F0SF-LA; with Federal Emissions (Only 2 Remaining)
    Previous Image

Next Image
    $75.79 $70.00 $145.79
    Add to Cart
    A-1 CARDONE 784856 {#F0PZ12A650ALA, F0SF12A650LB, F0SZ12A650LB} Reman. Engine Control Computer Info
    5 speed trans.; Units are pre-programmed at the factory.; Correct VIN and OE Number Required When Ordering.; I.D. #(s) F0SF-LB; with Federal Emissions
    1 Day Delay
    Previous Image

Next Image
    $99.79 $70.00 $169.79

Need more answers or you'll have your hands full.

What's the story on the car?

Mine is also a 90, but different numbers on the ecm. Is yours a 5 speed?

JJ
    Last edited by james5275; 06-22-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Yes it is a 5 speed

I have a good 90 five speed EEC from a parts car if interested PM me.

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project