Vibration, coolant leak, questions

JonS

SCCoA Member
I have a lovely low miles 95 5 SPD. I don't drive her much, so I don't have a feel for right or wrong. I've had to add a little coolant many of the times I've driven her after sitting for a few weeks. When I turn her off, sometimes there is wisp of steam from the firewall and a hiss, but not always. Sometimes there is a vibration I don't like. After taking the car out of winterization, I drove her a couple of times and put in a new harmonic balancer. New belts. Ran great twice for me. The air was cold. Last week the air was hot and I took her to work. Coolant light was on. The steering wheel shook and she was running warm. I had forgotten to reconnect the radiator fan wires and stopped to do that. After getting home I added coolant, and let her cool a bit. When I shut off the engine I heard a hiss from the block. Today I ran an engine block leak test to verify the head gaskets were blown, but to my chagrin the test is negative. My coolant has always been green and clear, and still is. Oil is not milky. I change coolant every season. I drove her today to warm her up for the leak test and no issues, but I took it easy. The radiator is a relatively new Griffen, how are good. No leaks there. I'm wondering if the gaskets are failed only to the point that hard driving is showing a problem. Front end is all good and tight, wheels are balanced. No white smoke but there is that smell

Any thoughts on more diagnostics to figure this out without roaching the engine?

Back