The revamp of my 1995 SC

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
As some know, my Pearl 95 SC has been down since the big Carlisle 2015 Thunderbird Anny gathering. My trip to and from was nerve racking as the car developed issues (now traced to a melted wiring harnesses), entire trip the car ran with hesitation and missing...it was at that time I decided the best option was to entrust Chris Vining with my car to make the repairs needed. He had jokingly (or maybe seriously) had said "let me just fix the car correctly" ...so he took the car Fall of 2015. Together we set the expectation work would start when he wasn't busy at his shop and when the full build parts were in possession. At that time he and I developed a plan to build something right the first time. When something I needed would come on the boards/facebook to save a penny - he'd quickly text or call and it would be bought. Every part, gasket, fluid, cleaner I thought he would need was purchased. Did the majority of this for a full year, it's been a real work in progress and truly at times I forget that I own the car. I remind myself that the end results will be well worth the wait and effort that has been put in by everyone who is making this happen.

Before I get to far into this, I really want to give the credit due to those involved. Chris Vining, for doing all the heavy lifting. I feel fortunate that you like me enough to want to work on my junk. Dave Clark...for remembering our conversation over beers 2 years prior about wanting "dibs" on the AR Kit if you were to ever upgraded. Ken Wagner - thanks for building the parts needed for the AR Kit for my car, your craftsmanship and the parts you build for this platform are really special! Thank you !

The Changes:
MPX replaced with - 1.7 Autorotor Install
Home Grown Front mount setup replaced with - MP Front Mount Setup / Griffin Fan Designed for Unit
95mm MP throttlebody
Install A/C back into the car - every piece brand new.
New Plugs/wires/fluids
Engine Bay Cleaned up / Painted
Snow Kit Installed
LC1 Wide Band kit installed
Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump installed
3 Gauge pillar pod installed
All new aftermarket pulleys - aluminum crank/water pump/jack shaft/power steering
Everything Chromed to avoid polishing work

Pictures to follow.

-Tim

So as for the starting point - Most remember my car and engine bay looking something like this:
garage_attachment.php

garage_attachment.php

Needless to say after time in the elements and just sitting...Chris started off his work with:

1.jpg

squirl.jpg

dirty

The engine bay with lots of filth removed:
39.png

821.png

Starting to clean things up - painting the needed areas to make it look show worthy:
2.jpg

3.jpg

The parts shipped off to be chromed and a few teaser pictures of what I've seen before shipping:
18.jpg

42.jpg

Ken Building the Plenums needed for the AR - and when it arrived:
89.jpg

90.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:
I to can't wait to read about the finished product but looks good now. Hopefully I'll get some encouragement from your project to start on my 95 SC.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Still a long road ahead before this one is done. All chrome parts should be here this week, so hopefully Chris will send me some pictures so I can document this.

Here's another teaser I received. Alternator was rebuilt by someone Dave Clark knows...higher amp internals so I should be good there in the future.

alt.jpg

-Tim

Box 1 has arrived back from the chrome shop - really looks great! Feel it was worth the expense for the WOW factor and the ability to keep it clean. Can't wait for box 2 to show up later today.

2017.jpg

-Tim

I see that you still plan on running that pain in the azz alternator bracket, why?

It was sent by accident and because of that it was chromed. :) Guess it could always be installed to throw more bling...otherwise it will just be a piece of wall art in the garage.

-Tim

Box 1 has arrived back from the chrome shop - really looks great! Feel it was worth the expense for the WOW factor and the ability to keep it clean. Can't wait for box 2 to show up later today.

View attachment 67225

-Tim

Ok.. new guy here.. my sc needs some serious love, and the whole chroming thing is brilliant. How much would it cost in your opinion for me to get all my pulleys and pipes, (supercharger tube also) chromed? This is a truly cool project!!!

Ok.. new guy here.. my sc needs some serious love, and the whole chroming thing is brilliant. How much would it cost in your opinion for me to get all my pulleys and pipes, (supercharger tube also) chromed? This is a truly cool project!!!
Send me a list if the parts you want done but yiu can probably expect 700 to 1000.

First welcome to the club - I have read your prior threads in the New Member section and also your For Sale thread listing. I am going to say posts like this is why you received such a hard "welcome" and in return you called all us SCCoA'ers "flamers" :D:p;).

Seems as though you're all over the place on what you have in mind for your car...I believe this is just excitement of the new ownership? I do hope you start to outline your goals and stick with it. 93 SCs are my personal favorite year - perfect blend of the early and late model SC. Truly you could have something really cool with a goal in mind.

I've been a member 17 years, owned a ton of SCs (many far uglier than your current starting point) and just now figuring out setting a yearly overall goal is the key. Shoot I have an '89 SC that the only goal is get from point A to B...start somewhere a follow through otherwise you'll be completely unsatisfied.

...now back on topic.

Chroming as mentioned by Dave is in the 700-1000 price point...St Louis Plating treated me right and I have nothing but positive to say about them and their work. If anyone needs there information LMK.

-Tim

95 sc

Hey Tim ur car is looking sweetttt.one day my car look as good as urs,...... As far as performance my pocket's are not that deep lol . when done I'm sure u will pull some nice numbers on the track.

It was sent by accident and because of that it was chromed. :) Guess it could always be installed to throw more bling...otherwise it will just be a piece of wall art in the garage.

-Tim
Let me know if you decide to get rid of it! :D

Looking good Tim!

Joe

Back