Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The revamp of my 1995 SC

Quote Originally Posted by Quik95SC View Post
    Tim,
    How is that "Be Cool" radiator still working for you? Assuming you got it mounted correctly by now.

Smitty
    Yeah the Cold Case radiator from the Power Tour is still in place. I had a local metal shop remove all the brackets it came with and then welded some L brackets to both the MP FMIC and the radiator. Also they weld a piece of aluminum to the top of the FMIC since it had all sort of blemishes from being used. After that I sanded out all the casts and polished it out to match the rest of the engine bay.

As for how it works, I wired the switch we purchased on the power tour up to the OE pusher fan (you can see the switch by the battery as I haven't finished that install and it was for testing purposes at the time of). Car now runs extremely cool! With fan running it usually doesn't come off the N or NORM.

Name:  brackets.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  230.1 KB
    Name:  enginenow2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  141.8 KB
    Name:  enginenow.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  231.2 KB
    Last edited by Tim Groth; 05-01-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Amazing how the MPIC problems go away with a decent radiator. We all assumed it was the design. My car still running good. I do want to test 100 degree days with the A/C but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    Amazing how the MPIC problems go away with a decent radiator. We all assumed it was the design. My car still running good. I do want to test 100 degree days with the A/C but we will see.
    Yeah it's nice to have the coolant running cooler temps - however I can see why the MP FMIC failed as an aftermarket product. From the cost stand point it's comical and given the trial and errors everyone has had, I'm not sure it could be called a "true-bolt on" product. I'm married to it at this point unless I want to basically give it away and throw more money into the SC Burn barrel.

I purchased the MP kit used for $600 - retail I believe was twice that new.
    Radiator setup after all the fabbing etc is $400ish
    Spal Fan - $150

$1150 for a FMIC (not even considering costs of chroming) ...most fab on their own for a fraction of the cost, and most likely far more efficient.

-Tim
    Current Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth View Post
    Yeah it's nice to have the coolant running cooler temps - however I can see why the MP FMIC failed as an aftermarket product. From the cost stand point it's comical and given the trial and errors everyone has had, I'm not sure it could be called a "true-bolt on" product. I'm married to it at this point unless I want to basically give it away and throw more money into the SC Burn barrel.

I purchased the MP kit used for $600 - retail I believe was twice that new.
    Radiator setup after all the fabbing etc is $400ish
    Spal Fan - $150

$1150 for a FMIC (not even considering costs of chroming) ...most fab on their own for a fraction of the cost, and most likely far more efficient.

-Tim
    It was expensive but itís crux was selling it without a matching radiator, and relying on the consumer to put on their scaled up, swelled up tubes or stock radiator. I could not figure out why on some cars it kept things cool but on some others it didnít. Another issue was the fact that a griffin radiator is so expensive, a cheaper alternative needed to be added to make it work well and not have to be a 2000 dollar investment.

By far the kit offers the best looking IC routing. The bends etc are straight and it doesnít look like a weekend project. IMO I am bias I have two of these. I wish I had tried a good radiator when I was having problems instead of blaming the design.

Yeah the Cold Case radiator from the Power Tour is still in place. I had a local metal shop remove all the brackets it came with and then welded some L brackets to both the MP FMIC and the radiator. Also they weld a piece of aluminum to the top of the FMIC since it had all sort of blemishes from being used. After that I sanded out all the casts and polished it out to match the rest of the engine bay.

As for how it works, I wired the switch we purchased on the power tour up to the OE pusher fan (you can see the switch by the battery as I haven't finished that install and it was for testing purposes at the time of). Car now runs extremely cool! With fan running it usually doesn't come off the N or NORM.

Name:  enginenow.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  231.2 KB
    Wow ! Looks great Tim !
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

By far the kit offers the best looking IC routing. The bends etc are straight and it doesnít look like a weekend project.
    I tend to disagree with that statement, I think the routing of my custom made tubes is much cleaner and appealing to the eye. MP fmic tube routing is too congested where it crosses in front of the radiator.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by nickleman60; 05-10-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '94 SC AUTO - 2.3 Whipple
    '90 SC AUTO - Bone Stock
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=19

I had to get a napkin to clean up a little drool just now

Quote Originally Posted by nickleman60 View Post
    I tend to disagree with that statement, I think the routing of my custom made tubes is much cleaner and appealing to the eye. MP fmic tube routing is too congested where it crosses in front of the radiator.

I agree.. not a fan of the mp fmic at all!
    93 SC Red Aod 4.2/2.3lwhipple 422rwhp 11.360
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    2018 Shootout Pro Street Runner Up
    Coming soon new motor 2300 TVS etc..
    90 35th aod stock, 90 5 speed Bolton Build in progress

The issue I had with my MP was that a blown head gasket ballooned the tubes on my expensive aluminum radiator. My car ran hotter than normal even with good spall fans. Had no idea till I sold it and the guy that bought it mentioned the tube issue. I gave him some kind of a refund. Cant recall what. Wasn't going to argue although it was hard to believe. Otherwise it performed well and looked great. I really hate crappy looking half assed IC setups regardless of how they perform.
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX View Post
    The issue I had with my MP was that a blown head gasket ballooned the tubes on my expensive aluminum radiator. My car ran hotter than normal even with good spall fans. Had no idea till I sold it and the guy that bought it mentioned the tube issue. I gave him some kind of a refund. Cant recall what. Wasn't going to argue although it was hard to believe. Otherwise it performed well and looked great. I really hate crappy looking half assed IC setups regardless of how they perform.
    I think you went through the same experience, and that why I made the original statement, when put in front of a proper radiator and fan, it works as intended, At least it has so far. So therefore the kit would have not gotten the bad rep it did if if had been sold with a radiator that was cheaper than griffins. Does it heatsoak in humid fl with the ac full blast. Maybe it does....but didn’t the stock IC also? Do I wish a bolt on kit was available that was in Front the ac condenser? Yeah, probably, but it only gets my vote when I see some nicely done angles, straights, bends and finish. Cause only a few fabbed ones have impressed me over the years of seeing SCs. And the top IC pipe on the MP kit nailed it on the head.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 05-10-2019 at 03:02 PM.

I'm wondering if anyone has this answer for me. My MP kit came with a 2 piece top pipe and most of the others I see have a solid pipe. Did Charles change the kit over the years or did I just happen to get a hacked kit from the multiple hand me downs.

-Tim
    Current Collection

I'm wondering if anyone has this answer for me. My MP kit came with a 2 piece top pipe and most of the others I see have a solid pipe. Did Charles change the kit over the years or did I just happen to get a hacked kit from the multiple hand me downs.

-Tim
    I searched this site for ones for sale and the ones I looked at were 3 piece tube kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '94 SC AUTO - 2.3 Whipple
    '90 SC AUTO - Bone Stock
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=19

-Tim
    That would be hacked. I assume someone sick of fighting it during installing. There are tricks to installing it. Sliding coupler at the IC placing it and sliding the coupler back over the ic inlet. Some lube helps but too much will cause the connection to blow off during boost. I would reweld and rechrome that connection is the only odd thing in the awesome bay.

That would be hacked. I assume someone sick of fighting it during installing. There are tricks to installing it. Sliding coupler at the IC placing it and sliding the coupler back over the ic inlet. Some lube helps but too much will cause the connection to blow off during boost. I would reweld and rechrome that connection is the only odd thing in the awesome bay.
    I'm considering that just because I'm OCD, and the intake tube needs to be sent off for chrome so may as well send it also.

Once I have the car back I still have a list of things to finish..never ends.

-Tim
    Current Collection

Looking really nice Tim!!! Hope to see it cruising soon with no gremlins lurking!
    Tom Downs-member#2752
    MPX'd 90 SC Auto~bought Feb. 2012
    RIP MOM!!! I will always miss and think about you 4Ever! 1940-2018
    RIP Rexy boy!!!! Miss my dog 2006-2018
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=424