The revamp of my 1995 SC

The glow in the dark paint... It needs to be charged up with light right? Do you have a clear hood?

Little update - spent the weekend in Northern VA helping Chris prep and paint the engine bay. Also thanks to Sherman Vining and Chuck Fulmer for remove harnesses and helping tape things off and moving the project along!

Just like any project seems like this one has been a constant 1 step forward then 2 steps back...I actually believe after this round of hiccups it should be smooth sailing for reassembly. After noticing some of the freeze plugs weeping, it was decided it would be best while at this point to replace all the freeze plugs, upgrade to the 6qt mustang oil pan and paint the engine bay. Also while traveling up I grabbed some new to me suspension parts - New Koni's all around and actual lowering springs (cars been riding cut factory springs for a few years). I bring up the suspension parts for the fact of explaining why the factory shocks weren't taped off - it's all being replaced.

Here's some pictures...first time I had seen the car in almost 2 years so it was pretty exciting for me. Forgot how good the car looks even in 100 pieces.

front.jpg
rear.jpg
engine out.jpg
prepbay.jpg
paintin.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:
Tim, which Koni's did you install? Did you replace the springs also? I'm still looking to replace the suspension but can't make up my mind how.

Ira

Tim, which Koni's did you install? Did you replace the springs also? I'm still looking to replace the suspension but can't make up my mind how.

Ira

I was able to pick up a used set of the manually adjustable Koni inserts that were discontinued in 2011, Koni yellow rears and H&R lowering springs. Should be a nice upgrade over the 23 year old factory parts. Suspension really wasn't part of the original build but couldn't pass up the opportunity. Also the upper control arms were replaced, granted I thought I had done them once before...too many cars I suppose.

Every system on the car has been inspected and either repaired or improved at this point. Only made sense to keep it going at this point.

-Tim

Taking this thing on the epic drive Tim?

I wish...at this point the only destination I'm trying to make is the Hot Rod Power Tour. Wife is pregnant with kid #2, my son is 14mos so lots of give and take being played in the household. I'm trying to talk her into a weekend trip in Gatlinburg just to see everyone and their cars...hopefully she will consider it. Did the Dragon in the expedition and she cussed and screamed the entire time, so I doubt she would be game for that again. Dinner and parking lot banter I'm sure she would be open to however.

Guess time will tell.

-Tim

I wish...at this point the only destination I'm trying to make is the Hot Rod Power Tour. Wife is pregnant with kid #2, my son is 14mos so lots of give and take being played in the household. I'm trying to talk her into a weekend trip in Gatlinburg just to see everyone and their cars...hopefully she will consider it. Did the Dragon in the expedition and she cussed and screamed the entire time, so I doubt she would be game for that again. Dinner and parking lot banter I'm sure she would be open to however.

Guess time will tell.

-Tim

Depending on how the car does with the epic drive I may try to make a stop or two on power tour. Hopefully you can make it down to visit and or make the shootout! It hasn't been the same without you there man!

Depending on how the car does with the epic drive I may try to make a stop or two on power tour. Hopefully you can make it down to visit and or make the shootout! It hasn't been the same without you there man!

Yeah I hate that it's been so long since I've been to the shootout, it's been way too long and I hope to make that change once the cars back together.

-Tim

Just a few more pictures - while the engine was out to repaint the bay went ahead and installed a 6 qt mustang oil pan...Chris powder coated it the same color as the valve covers he did a few years back. The freeze plugs were replaced as several were weeping or slightly pushed out. Kind of a blessing this was caught before it was finished. He also checked the bottom end to make sure everything was within order...pretty surprised my name is still on the crank from 10 years ago when the work was done.

20180330_214547_1522460835478.jpg
20180320_215944_1521641121575.jpg
20180327_191912_1522274279920.jpg

-Tim

Well a ton of progress has been made. I have pictures for days on my phone of the different steps and modifications that were completed to get us here. Hard to upload them on the forums without a desktop...I'll do it at some point for the sake of the thread.

Car runs tho. Amazingly fired right up with the previous tune for the MPX.

https://youtu.be/NCKFrE9P9qc

-Tim

Awesome. Looking forward to hopefully seeing it at Carlisle.

I'll be there rain or shine - still doesn't feel real that my car is done, or that it's mine for that matter. Been a long time in the making. Extremely grateful for everyone in this club that has had a part be it large or small in making it happen.

-Tim

Nice Tim. Good to see it running. One thing... was that the engine temp idling at 146 degrees? I hope not.

Nice Tim. Good to see it running. One thing... was that the engine temp idling at 146 degrees? I hope not.

I wish Ira - actually plan to check out your setup on the power tour, for we have pretty similar builds. My idling temps are 204-220 range with the MP front mount, and AC installed. The radiator, MP IC and fans were all purchased used so I am not sure if the fan is a SPAL 2000cfm like yours or something from a parts store.

I recall your previous build running higher temps in the summer...with the last upgrades has that improved?

-Tim

Last edited:
Suppose I should update this thread. The push to get ready for the HRPT slowed my updates and then life got in the way also. Lots of details of the struggles encountered during the tour in the events section of anyone cares to read in more detail.

Last 2 weeks of this build before the tour was a struggle, but determined to go Chris Vining put in some insane hours to get me there. Tour started on a Saturday and on the Wednesday before the 3inch radiator that came with my MP FMIC kit sprung a leak. Because of the short timeframes, chris fabbed mounts and we used a Brand new OE radiator. Needless to say, the car ran very hot for the first 2 stops of the power tour. For those who haven't completed a tour, you're basically going 5mph the last 2 miles into the venue on a 100 degree day...car was very unhappy. After thinking I was seconds away from HG failure, a radiator was sourced at the show. Found a 19x21x3 Cold Case radiator and with the help of smitty, some other tour goers and zip ties it was installed in the Days Inn parking lot in Chattanooga TN.

Over the last few weeks I've worked on mounting it perminately and also cleaning up some of the eye sores. The MP FMIC was used so it had several holes on the top surface...when they fabbed the mounts I had them also add an aluminum sheet to the top. Spent this week sanding out the cast MP FMIC and polishing it out since it was about the last piece to shine under my hood.

Here are some pictures...I'd say it's close to done now but we all know that's never true. I still have several odds and ends to button up before she gets body work done.

20180608_162725.jpg20180615_183335.jpg20180610_173935.jpg20180815_151826.jpg20180820_143955.jpg

-Tim

Hood ripped off at the Atlanta stop, granted we fixed at the track but made for a cool picture on the track.

Pictures of the half asses mount job that we were able to make the best of at the hotel. Again thanks to Smitty he saved me that day! Thanks man!

Last picture shows all the holes in the FMIC... can also see the HVAC zip tie holding the radiator in place.

Sorry the pictures are sideways...uploading em here and they shifted...maybe size?

20180707_002655.jpg20180729_144950.jpg20180611_134459.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:
The engine is looking amazing. Hope you have a nice dry garage to keep things in great shape. Bling bling! Good job

Back