How do you remove the alternator?

BossII

My alternator bit the dust :( So i go to start pulling it apart, find the hidden bolt under the pack. Get the top bolt removed, bottom bolt slides most of the way out and hits the intercooler. See i have to knock the top IC tube off. So i get the IC mostly off and can now move the alternator but cannot remove it. So basically i'm stuck. How do you remove the alternator? This should of been easy, tried doing google searches and cannot find any info. Any help would be appreciated.

Once all the bolts are out and the cable and connector removed, all that's holding it is the friction/grip from the lower section of the alternator body/mount inside the accy. bracket recess.

You may need to get under it with a small pry implement, then rock it left/right while applying upward leverage from below, and lifting straight up, to avoid side-loading so it doesn't get wedged in the bracket.

Good luck.

Get the top bolt removed, bottom bolt slides most of the way out and hits the intercooler.
You shouldn't have to remove that bolt all the way.

See i have to knock the top IC tube off. So i get the IC mostly off and can now move the alternator but cannot remove it. So basically i'm stuck. How do you remove the alternator? This should of been easy, tried doing google searches and cannot find any info. Any help would be appreciated.
Yup, you need to remove the upper IC tube. You can do that by unbolting where it connects to the IC, removing the side bracket bolt+nut, and the SC top (4 bolts). That way you won't have to loosen the huge collar nut.

As KMT noted, you can then wedge something underneath it to pry it up and out.

Don't forget to disconnect one of the battery cables. The post on the back is hot.

You shouldn't have to remove that bolt all the way.

Yup, you need to remove the upper IC tube. You can do that by unbolting where it connects to the IC, removing the side bracket bolt+nut, and the SC top (4 bolts). That way you won't have to loosen the huge collar nut.

As KMT noted, you can then wedge something underneath it to pry it up and out.

Don't forget to disconnect one of the battery cables. The post on the back is hot.

Let us know if it works, my restoration 93 sc with 37k has an ugly alternator I was just reading your post to figure it out as well lol.

Yeah got the alternator out. Didn't check the forum went out the next day with new vigor and less mosquitoes and managed to pull the alternator. What a pain to pull, used a hammer to bang it out with. Got a new used alternator and wow goes in easier than it came out lol. Started putting it in last night just need to finish bolting it down. Now when replacing the top plate/IC do i need to use the high temp silicone to make a new seal or does it not matter?

Yes, matters. Blue silicone, etc. - thin bead after carefully cleaning both surfaces.

Don't know how but i lost the bracket for the back of the alternator and i can't get the bottom bolt lined up correctly to thread into the alternator bracket. Any solutions? Gonna keep at it until i get it.

Don't know how but i lost the bracket for the back of the alternator and i can't get the bottom bolt lined up correctly to thread into the alternator bracket. Any solutions? Gonna keep at it until i get it.
Wiggle the alternator body around slightly while constantly and gently turning the bolt until it grabs the threads.

Back