Recently Purchased '89, Motor Needs Rebuilt?

Kilo927

Hi! 3 days ago I purchased my second Thunderbird, a 1989 Super Coupe. It appeared to have a vacuum leak. As it would heat up, it would begin to stall when I let in the clutch. Last night, I was driving and it began to make an awful noise, I will post a video of the noise, and on my way home, it began overheating. The coolant overflow tank was boiling. I let it sit over night. It is now back in my driveway and I have no clue what to do. I think that the noise is a rod bearing but am not exactly sure. Will it need rebuilt? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Yeah, that sounds like a rod bearing, and yes it means the motor will have to be rebuilt, or replaced. Replacing it with a good used one is likely your cheapest way out, but if you want to have it rebuilt, contact XR7Dave, as he is the go-to guy for engine work on these cars, and he is also in Ohio.

If you pull the dipstick, does it look like a milkshake? Same stuff in the overflow tank or radiator if you let it cool down and look inside?

Damage is done, in any case - headgasket fail, most likely. Try not to fire it up again and open discussions with a reliable source for an overhaul or another engine.

Good evening

You could also drain a little oil in a small container and stir with a screwdriver. If the oil has silver "metal flakes/sparkles" while stirring this would be a strong indication the bearing(s) are shot.

I drained the oil. It looks like used motor oil, except there are metal shavings in it. The radiator and reserve tank both look like a milkshake. The motor will need replaced. No clue what to do with the car now. Not sure if it's even worth it anymore. :(

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

Mike

Back