Supercoupe, no start, then start when jumping the starter relay off of the batter

and the only hard part is needing a specific security 27 torx bit to complete the job.

Just what I was looking for! New switch arrived but couldn't install it bc I was surprised by the security torx bit. I tried to size the bolt, but because of the "security" portion, I wasn't sure if the right size was 25 or 27 torx.

Thanks, Ken!

My dad managed to start the car by jumping the round starter relay thing next to the battery.

Your dad may have been on the right track from the beginning. Those fender mounted started relays go out all the time, especially if it is the original.

Here is a video of how to check it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJL0DD8gJbY

One large wire is hot all the time from the battery and the other gets 12V when the starter switch sends 12v over the small wire to activate the solenoid and then 12V goes to the starter over the other large wire.

Easy way to test is connect a test light or multi-meter leads to test for voltage on the small wire.

It should get 12V when you turn the key to start, it if does it should activate that solenoid and send that 12V to the other side. If it does and you an hear a click, then check the large wire going to the starter and it should have 12V now. if not then that starter relay is bad.

Very common problem.

Smitty

Since you have a 92, your brake system gets its pressure from an electric motor that can possibly be "deactivated" by a failed ignition switch. I'm not talking about the ABS system....I'm talking about the BRAKE SYSTEM.

You can literally loose your power brakes because of a worn out ignition switch. I don't know how you drive your SC, but if you're out enjoying it, you don't want your brakes to go out.

CHECK THE IGNITION SWITCH

Like Ken and Ralph have preached numerous times, it's cheap, its easy to get to / replace....it's even easy to CHECK.

One of my SC's had an ignition switch starting to fail...I put it off...it still worked most of the time.

On my way to work (driving fast / running late), my turn signals stopped working for awhile....hmm...weird... As I approach the U-shaped interstate exit @ 60mph+, I also find that I have no power assist for the brakes....had I planned to push that curve any harder, I probably would have wrecked the car.....for a $13 part that I knew was going bad.

The large starter relay in the engine bay goes bad too...usually I think the contacts inside get dirty/corroded...I've had multiple failures of those in the past few years. You can't jumper it to get it to start when that's the problem though (unless you make good contact)....my wife's car has had that problem for some time.

Back