Thread: New (To Me) 1991 SC Auto

Hybrid View

New (To Me) 1991 SC Auto

This was a Copart car that I took a gamble on, and I personally think it was a good one to take, especially for the shape the body is in. Being a near identical twin to my 92 was a nice touch too. This is the first car I've found, ever, that has the same style rear spoiler as mine. Once I cleaned it off at a car wash on the way home, it's a lot nicer car than was expected. It does have a salvage title now, but for the time being it's OK since my 92 is first priority anyway. Body is straight, nothing under the hood or the car is missing. Leather is typical wear you'd see at this age. Some suspension components will definitely need to be redone. The speedo needle is missing, and I don't know if the odometer fully works. (Thankfully I have a spare cluster) There's a Kenwood head unit installed with an amp and subwoofer box in the trunk. The car didn't come with the trunk key so there's going to be some breaking into it to get in there. The boxes were made for the trunk, and are too big to slide through the back seat. The radio nor the windows have power so there's some electrical work there to check up on. All of the lights work on it though, and the sunroof doesn't leak. As far as the motor, it's all there. The fan was hot-wired to run all the time. The starter still works, and the engine spins freely. The shifter goes into all gears without an issue. It's definitely an ignition system issue with a slight probability that the fuel pump has a problem (it does sound like the pump turns on with the key to "Run" but it's not as distinct as my 92 so it may be a combination). Doesn't appear to have any coolant in the oil (which surprisingly looks pretty clean), and the coolant in the radiator isn't discolored. It definitely sat for quite some time, but I honestly think with some time to find the bugs, this car will run. That'll be a winter project. I only tried to see if it would start so I could move it easier than man-power and my truck...couldn't have been that easy.

Overall plan for this is to be a donor for stuff I'm missing or need yet on my 92, which is mostly cosmetic at this point. Then it'll go to getting it running, re-doing the suspension, then the motor. I'd like to make this an autocross/play/"drive more than my other one" type of car. My 92 definitely will be driven, but that one is more sentimental so I'd rather that be a fair-weather car.

I did a search on here, and actually found, what I believe, to be a previous owner ("Two35ths") selling the car in 2009 when it had 66,000 miles on it. It currently registers at a little under 70,000. His description in the post matches this car exactly. Small world.

Name:  IMG_2457.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  102.3 KBName:  IMG_2455.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  87.6 KBName:  IMG_2452.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  69.5 KBName:  DEAABEF8-.jpg
Size:  350.4 KBName:  20170705_143151small.jpg
Size:  27.4 KB
    1992 SC - 5 Speed, Black, Stock
    1991 SC - Auto, Black, Currently Stock

Shot of the engine...

Name:  IMG_2461.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  77.3 KB

The car didn't come with the trunk key so there's going to be some breaking into it to get in there.
    No button in the glovebox? Does it have keyless entry? You could always climb thru the backseat. Maybe you know, but trying to break in from the outside at the key is pretty difficult, I think I replace my lock cylinder with a camera and don't even carry a trunk key now.

It's definitely an ignition system issue with a slight probability that the fuel pump has a problem (it does sound like the pump turns on with the key to "Run" but it's not as distinct as my 92 so it may be a combination).
    No start/run, you mean?

Looks like a late model (?) radiator... What is that thing stuffed next to the intercooler in front of the pulleys?
    Last edited by KMT; 07-06-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    No button in the glovebox? Does it have keyless entry? You could always climb thru the backseat. Maybe you know, but trying to break in from the outside at the key is pretty difficult, I think I replace my lock cylinder with a camera and don't even carry a trunk key now.
    The button in the glovebox unfortunately didn't do anything. With the radio and windows not working either I have a suspicion about blown fuses. The amp and sub boxes literally go from one side of the car to the other. By the time my dad and I got parked and I got to crawling around the inside, I was spent, so I didn't mess around too much with actually trying to get back there.

No start/run, you mean?
    Correct. Pump is barely audible with the ignition turned to run or start. Engine cranks but it doesn't start. Doesn't even try. Does sound/feel like the engine has decent compression though. By the looks of the fuel fill, the tank isn't the stock tank either.

Looks like a late model (?) radiator... What is that thing stuffed next to the intercooler in front of the pulleys?
    Honestly, can't figure that one out either. I thought it was a horn, but the factory horn sounds when you press the steering wheel. I have to look to see where it's wired to. There's no extra switches on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by 92SCtk View Post
    I have to look to see where it's wired to. There's no extra switches on the dash.
    Given the audio equipment, that may be the siren for an alarm.

The amp and sub boxes literally go from one side of the car to the other.
    I get it...they block access from the seat opening I guess. Hopefully you can revive the button.

Good luck w/it - keep us posted how you get on, thanks.

Ken
    Last edited by KMT; 07-06-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Given the audio equipment, that may be the siren for an alarm.
    It doesn't have the factory/dealer installed alarm box by the fuse box like my 92 does so an aftermarket one for the stereo would make sense.

I get it...they block access from the seat opening I guess. Hopefully you can revive the button.
    Correct. Looking at the fuse diagram, would it be correct that the "Trunk Lid Solenoid" is for that button? That same fuse controls the power windows so it would make sense (at least before confirming) that they all don't work.

Good luck w/it - keep us posted how you get on, thanks.
    Will do. Once the seasons start changing and things slow down, I'll be at more. Thanks for the help.