New (To Me) 1991 SC Auto

92SCtk

This was a Copart car that I took a gamble on, and I personally think it was a good one to take, especially for the shape the body is in. Being a near identical twin to my 92 was a nice touch too. This is the first car I've found, ever, that has the same style rear spoiler as mine. Once I cleaned it off at a car wash on the way home, it's a lot nicer car than was expected. It does have a salvage title now, but for the time being it's OK since my 92 is first priority anyway. Body is straight, nothing under the hood or the car is missing. Leather is typical wear you'd see at this age. Some suspension components will definitely need to be redone. The speedo needle is missing, and I don't know if the odometer fully works. (Thankfully I have a spare cluster) There's a Kenwood head unit installed with an amp and subwoofer box in the trunk. The car didn't come with the trunk key so there's going to be some breaking into it to get in there. The boxes were made for the trunk, and are too big to slide through the back seat. The radio nor the windows have power so there's some electrical work there to check up on. All of the lights work on it though, and the sunroof doesn't leak. As far as the motor, it's all there. The fan was hot-wired to run all the time. The starter still works, and the engine spins freely. The shifter goes into all gears without an issue. It's definitely an ignition system issue with a slight probability that the fuel pump has a problem (it does sound like the pump turns on with the key to "Run" but it's not as distinct as my 92 so it may be a combination). Doesn't appear to have any coolant in the oil (which surprisingly looks pretty clean), and the coolant in the radiator isn't discolored. It definitely sat for quite some time, but I honestly think with some time to find the bugs, this car will run. That'll be a winter project. I only tried to see if it would start so I could move it easier than man-power and my truck...couldn't have been that easy.

Overall plan for this is to be a donor for stuff I'm missing or need yet on my 92, which is mostly cosmetic at this point. Then it'll go to getting it running, re-doing the suspension, then the motor. I'd like to make this an autocross/play/"drive more than my other one" type of car. My 92 definitely will be driven, but that one is more sentimental so I'd rather that be a fair-weather car.

I did a search on here, and actually found, what I believe, to be a previous owner ("Two35ths") selling the car in 2009 when it had 66,000 miles on it. It currently registers at a little under 70,000. His description in the post matches this car exactly. Small world.

IMG_2457.jpgIMG_2455.jpgIMG_2452.jpgDEAABEF8-.jpg20170705_143151small.jpg

The car didn't come with the trunk key so there's going to be some breaking into it to get in there.
No button in the glovebox? Does it have keyless entry? You could always climb thru the backseat. Maybe you know, but trying to break in from the outside at the key is pretty difficult, I think ;) I replace my lock cylinder with a camera and don't even carry a trunk key now.

It's definitely an ignition system issue with a slight probability that the fuel pump has a problem (it does sound like the pump turns on with the key to "Run" but it's not as distinct as my 92 so it may be a combination).

No start/run, you mean?

Looks like a late model (?) radiator... What is that thing stuffed next to the intercooler in front of the pulleys?

Last edited:
No button in the glovebox? Does it have keyless entry? You could always climb thru the backseat. Maybe you know, but trying to break in from the outside at the key is pretty difficult, I think ;) I replace my lock cylinder with a camera and don't even carry a trunk key now.

The button in the glovebox unfortunately didn't do anything. With the radio and windows not working either I have a suspicion about blown fuses. The amp and sub boxes literally go from one side of the car to the other. By the time my dad and I got parked and I got to crawling around the inside, I was spent, so I didn't mess around too much with actually trying to get back there.

No start/run, you mean?

Correct. Pump is barely audible with the ignition turned to run or start. Engine cranks but it doesn't start. Doesn't even try. Does sound/feel like the engine has decent compression though. By the looks of the fuel fill, the tank isn't the stock tank either.

Looks like a late model (?) radiator... What is that thing stuffed next to the intercooler in front of the pulleys?

Honestly, can't figure that one out either. I thought it was a horn, but the factory horn sounds when you press the steering wheel. I have to look to see where it's wired to. There's no extra switches on the dash.

I have to look to see where it's wired to. There's no extra switches on the dash.

Given the audio equipment, that may be the siren for an alarm.

The amp and sub boxes literally go from one side of the car to the other.

I get it...they block access from the seat opening I guess. Hopefully you can revive the button.

Good luck w/it - keep us posted how you get on, thanks.

Ken

Last edited:
Given the audio equipment, that may be the siren for an alarm.

It doesn't have the factory/dealer installed alarm box by the fuse box like my 92 does so an aftermarket one for the stereo would make sense.

I get it...they block access from the seat opening I guess. Hopefully you can revive the button.

Correct. Looking at the fuse diagram, would it be correct that the "Trunk Lid Solenoid" is for that button? That same fuse controls the power windows so it would make sense (at least before confirming) that they all don't work.

Good luck w/it - keep us posted how you get on, thanks.

Will do. Once the seasons start changing and things slow down, I'll be at more. Thanks for the help.

would it be correct that the "Trunk Lid Solenoid" is for that button? That same fuse controls the power windows so it would make sense (at least before confirming) that they all don't work..

Right (and if you have the keypad on the door, enter the main code, then press 5 to pop the trunk), but it's a circuit breaker, not a fuse, so maybe it's just missing? Deck lid, power windows and moonroof. See http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?130835-fuel-tank-button&p=1041189#post1041189

Last edited:
Just some updated pics of the inside of the car after I cleaned it this weekend. Car is looking like more and more of a deal as I continue to go through it. Got into the trunk too. Going under the dash to look at fuses, I noticed a toggle switch behind the trunk lid release. Thinking "you can't be serious", I flipped it on, turned the key, and bam, radio lights up, antenna switch works, all windows including the sunroof fully retract and close, and the trunk button in the glovebox works. Unfortunately there's no sound coming through the speakers or the sub, but it was a win regardless. I'm really hoping that getting it started is just as simple. I'm too busy for the rest of the month to really do much more, but once August hits I'm swapping the hood and spoiler onto my 92, checking codes, fuel pressure, etc, and hopefully be even happier. It's really a shame this car ended up in a salvage yard, but I'm not really complaining either.

20170708_091110 small.jpg20170708_091117 small.jpg20170708_091127 small.jpg20170708_093300 small.jpg

Nice looking car!

Thanks.

I'll give an update while I'm here. Got my new Airtex sending unit in over the weekend; $48 shipped through Amazon (used the "access through the floor" method; no ability to move the car into garage). After three turns of the key, fuel rails had enough pressure, and she fired right up. It does idle around 2000 RPM, but I ran out of time to attempt cleaning the throttle body and IAC. That'll be this weekend. I will say though that in the 10-15 minutes I let it run, not once did it over-heat. Gets up to temp, fan comes on when it's supposed to, and keeps it steady. No visible leaks anywhere. It does intermittently have a slight shake, but I'll see if that's the IAC or a vacuum leak. I say intermittently because it will smooth out every so often. When it does, it sounds very strong. Putting it into reverse drops the RPM to a normal range so that's why I'm going IAC first.

I'm pretty sure the brake accumulator is shot as well. Rock hard pedal, and both the ABS and Brake light are on. I do hear the pump run. I've had the joy of seeing how expensive a replacement is as well as the options to change the ABS unit altogether. Really like the Hydro Boost set up, but my 92 needs that money first. Might try to find a used accumulator that works in the mean time.

I didn't run it long enough, I'm sure, but I ran the code reader on it after it warmed up and everything cleared.

So far continues to be the best gamble I ever made, and I hate gambling my money. :cool:

Do have two questions though:

Every parts store source I looked at listed the Motorcraft fuel filter as FG881. When I took the original off, it's an FG862, and the FG881 is too large on the exit side to fit in the fuel line. Anyone else have this problem?

On the floor access for the sending unit, that seemed a lot more difficult than others made it seem. Is there a trick to it that I'm maybe missing? I can't go any further to the left or else I'm going to take out the seat hold-down, but that seemed to be my biggest hurdle. I'm pretty sure either the float got knocked off or the connector for it because one or the other kept coming off in my attempts to rotate the unit in; "Check Gauge" and dead needle. Once I closed it up, I didn't go back to check what came off. Not worried about it right now, but just looking for thoughts.

Beauty car. Congratulations. Please keep posting.

Every parts store source I looked at listed the Motorcraft fuel filter as FG881. When I took the original off, it's an FG862, and the FG881 is too large on the exit side to fit in the fuel line. Anyone else have this problem?

I just changed my fuel filter on my 1991. The parts place I talked to wanted my VIN to be sure to send me the right one. One connection changed 11/1990 in the manufacture run. That way there is only one way to install it and you can't put it on backwards. Mine was made just before the cutoff, so old style for me, SHOULD be new style for you.

Maybe your 92 was made in 90 and sat on the lot till 92. Or MAYBE someone switched the fuel line looking for the problem you are now facing?

My fuel filter was a FG862. The manual says to always use new clips. I destroyed the old clips getting them off and am glad I asked for new clips. Both clips the SAME.

Beauty car. Congratulations. Please keep posting.

I just changed my fuel filter on my 1991. The parts place I talked to wanted my VIN to be sure to send me the right one. One connection changed 11/1990 in the manufacture run. That way there is only one way to install it and you can't put it on backwards. Mine was made just before the cutoff, so old style for me, SHOULD be new style for you.

Maybe your 92 was made in 90 and sat on the lot till 92. Or MAYBE someone switched the fuel line looking for the problem you are now facing?

My fuel filter was a FG862. The manual says to always use new clips. I destroyed the old clips getting them off and am glad I asked for new clips. Both clips the SAME.

Thank you. Nothing much has changed so far. The car can't be 'legally' driven yet so the fuel filter can wait for now. It idles really smooth, but does have a miss every once in a while. Needs brakes before I dive into that. I'm currently working on a vacuum brake swap. Got everything installed after arguing with the car for a whole day, and nothing worked. Realized that in my "be stronger than the parts" phase of the day, instead of undoing the main wiring harness at the firewall, I thought I'd force the booster over it. That didn't work so well. Rod broke the plastic under the rubber cover, and pushed the front seal out...oops. Thought maybe it wouldn't be a big deal (I said I'm learning). Checked with a vacuum gauge last night, and it won't even hold 5 in Hg. That's next weekend's project. I have to do a better job at bleeding the brakes too. Learning quickly that I need to be gentle, patient, and kind or stuff doesn't go my way. As frustrated as I get though, it's everything I wanted it to be; learning tool/restoration project.

I love the black interior. That leather looks great. Mine has blue interior. It is the first leather interior I have owned and I really like it.

I was looking for a white one with a black interior. I like the black on black though. And I like my blue on blue now too. The paint is so deep blue you can almost dive in and swim around in it.

Totally agree. Black on black cars are my first choice (my F-250 is red with black wheels, but that's because I couldn't pass on a deal :rolleyes:). This car unfortunately sat in the sun for too long so the dash cracked and the rear seat has fade and rips in the seams at the deck lid, but for the most part, being a neglected 26 year old car, it's in surprisingly good shape.

Back