Interior question

potshotscott

I found a VERY nice leather back seat (top half) at the wreckers today. It has the middle arm rest and is NOT a fold down like my original seat. Did any of the SC's in 1994 come with these seats or were they all fold down split 40/60 seats?

Think true fold down rear top half was only an option on full leather interior 94/95 SC's. Many years had the fold down center armrest. Not the same. Can get you 95/89 photos if needed.
Creighton

Last edited:
So I got this seat today for $30.00 at the pick and pull section of my local wrecker. I could not be happier! Also got some VERY nice seat pan trim along with the dash panel I was needing for the daughter's LX.

The old cracked leather 20/80 split seat
IMG_2455.jpg

The new 95 Cougar leather seat back
IMG_2444.jpg

Installed in the 94 SC
IMG_2454.jpg

Clean seat trim!
IMG_2452.jpg

Looks nice!

Now grease that sucker up and tint the rear window so it doesn't suffer the same fate ;)

Is the center rest a pass-thru hole?

Thanks Ken - I cleaned it with Lexol leather cleaner as it had some actual grease on it and then applied a healthy dose of conditioner. Whoever parted the engine and trans had the gumption to put the K member INSIDE the car along with the tires and front suspension parts. Huge tear in the back bottom seat. The tires were stacked against the upper seat which is why it was in good shape. I keep my car in the garage - don't think I want to go tinted. Plan on leather conditioning regularly.

Last edited:
Think true fold down rear top half was only an option on full leather interior 94/95 SC's. Many years had the fold down center armrest. Not the same. Can get you 95/89 photos if needed.
Creighton

Fold down rear seats were available every year, SC with full leather only. Or 89-90 xr7 full leather. All other models with full leather, leather/cloth, full cloth, received the center fold out arm rest and some extra sound insulation.

Heading back to the wreckers to get that very sound insulation you talk about (along with the L bracket). I opened the trunk last night and noticed some beige foam. Looked in my 94 LX trunk to find the insulation and L bracket. Shouldn't be more than 5 bucks or so...

Oh - and thanks for the confirmation that the fold down arm rest was stock. It looks good but I'd like it to look stock as well.

Fold down rear seats were available every year, SC with full leather only. Or 89-90 xr7 full leather. All other models with full leather, leather/cloth, full cloth, received the center fold out arm rest and some extra sound insulation.

My 1991 XR7 also had the full leather fold down rear seat; cut off isn't 1990.

RwP

3rd on the xr7 with full cloth fold down seats. I've seen the claim several times that it must have leather for the fold down seats - wonder where this comes from?

I don't know, so this is purely speculation ... but notice that the ones with cloth seats? Are all XR7's. Maybe it was all leather on the SC and cloth available on the XR7, being as how the XR7 was more the "plush grandpa" car and the TBird the "young, exciting" one? (MEANING NO OFFENSE TO OWNERS OF EITHER! Also, being a Grandpaw, I love my 1991 because it IS a plush grandpa/grandma car ... but that's me! Not you, not you, and, oh yeah, ESPECIALLY not YOU!!)

RwP

The only problem I ran into with this conversion is that the carpet pad/insulation from the donor car does not fit in the SC as well as I'd like. I got the L bracket and pad but it's not a clean and easy fit. I could modify things to make it work but will likely build a 1/4" MDF board with auto-carpet as a cleaner looking partition between the back seat foam and the trunk itself.

Did the seat pan plastics last night - they look stellar!

Back