Thread: Noisy MPX

Noisy MPX

Like the title says, my supercharger is LOUD. Not in a good way. Every time I start the car and constantly while cruising/decel/idling it noisy. It has done it since day 1 I put it on the car. Sounds very tinny/rattling. I had Magnum Powers rebuild and coat my rotors, added their bearing plate and I rebuilt the snout with all new bearings/coupler/seals/fluid. No change at all. Has anyone had this issue before? I'm pretty well out of ideas at this point. The only thing I can think of is the case is mis-manufactured or my intake is somehow warped, but even if I loosen up the bolts while its running it doesn't change. Any ideas are appreciated!

If you pull the belt and spin the input by hand, how does it feel? Just do it gently at first. See if you can feel any grinding, binding and if there is any noise that way. Try to detect play in the coupler vs. gears/rotors.

Spin idler pulley by hand while the belt is off too.

If you have an IR heat thermometer, maybe you can scan it while in use to see if there are any spots dramatically hotter than you think they should be.

Can you pull some fluid and check for filings?

did MP assemble the blower? You did the nose bearings? Did you spin the rotors before tightening the 9 bolts that hold the blower together? Should have had Charles assemble it to check clearances my brother!!
    Tom Downs-member#2752
    MPX'd 90 SC Auto~bought Feb. 2012
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=424

Quote Originally Posted by 89XR7TD View Post
    did MP assemble the blower? You did the nose bearings? Did you spin the rotors before tightening the 9 bolts that hold the blower together? Should have had Charles assemble it to check clearances my brother!!
    I drove the car down to Portland, Charles listened to it in person. He said it sounded like a rotor issue. So I brought him the supercharger, he rebuilt the rotor pack, coated the rotors, and added the MP bearing plate. He assembled the complete supercharger. When I put it back on the car there was no difference. So I took it back off and rebuilt the snout with new bearings, seal, coupler and fluid. Still no change in sound

Being that you have abradive coating pull the rotor pack and look for wear marks. Sounds like a rotor timing issue to me. Just because mp rebuilt it doesn't mean it's right.
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152