QA1 Rear coilover kit review.

davec73

SCCoA Member
I recently decided to purchase the rear Qa1 coilover kit from bill at SCP. I purchased the rear kit from him because i acquired a set of Qa1 frint coilovers that where made for our cars some years ago and i really liked them alot because the ride good but handle much better and make your ride height completely adjustable not to mention a substantial weight savings. I installed the rears today taking my time in about 3 hrs. They have a very beefy upper mount that you have to drill a couple of holes to mount them to the body for support. Overall i would rate the installation a 3 out of 10. Along with the coilivers i also ordered a bearing kit to make adjustment of the springs much easier and a crow foot spanner wrench so i could use a long handle ratchet to adjust the ride height. I pulled the lcas down and removed the coil springs as well as the aluminum mounts and air bags, while i was at it i reaced the rear sway bar bushings. After i assembled the coilovers and got the poly bushings and sleeves pressed into the lower shock miunt it was really as simple as mounting a set of shock absorbers. The shocks are 18 way comp and rebound adjustable fir superior ride control and have completely custom adjustable ride height. I raked mine set to 27.25 front and 28" rear. That puts the top lock ring 3.5" down the shock body uf anyone want to set the rear at 28" from the center if the fender to the ground! Here are some pics if the install rude heiggt pic is befire i raised it and i will continue to update this thread as i drive and race with them.

Attachments

• 20170714_124339_resized_2.jpg
    20170714_124339_resized_2.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 509
  • 20170714_134646_resized_2.jpg
    20170714_134646_resized_2.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 20170714_134640_resized_2.jpg
    20170714_134640_resized_2.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 493
  • 20170714_134649_resized_2.jpg
    20170714_134649_resized_2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 490
  • 20170714_140522_resized_2.jpg
    20170714_140522_resized_2.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 452
Ride height beforehand

Attachments

• 20170714_165905_resized_2.jpg
    20170714_165905_resized_2.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Bill has the weight savings on the website i believe Will. I am excited to have you weigh the car this year as I think i have shaved 300lb or so off. You should have my weight from the 14 and 16.

Results are impressive.

I took the car out this afternoon and leaned on it pretty hard. Keep in mind the rear suspension in my car has David Dalke performance bushing kit, Bill's super beefy upper control arms, beefed up rear difficulty mount poly bushings for the difference and a steed difference brace. I got the qa1s set on the 4th click, ride height set at 28and the car performed better than it did with eibachs and konis. The Wright transfer is awesome, little to no wheel hop getting on the car hard. I also took it through some corners at high speed and took it across railroad tracks etc. It's by far the best handling super coupe I've ever driven and not much of the ride was compromised even though it has solid motor mounts you would never know it. These coilovers are a solid performance upgrade that i would recommend to anyone with any level of modifications. They ride and handle far better than tokicos and weigh a fraction of what they do. The other plus is there is no dealing with lowering springs cups etc.

Thanks for posting a review Dave. I had the intention of buying some of these (for the front at least) this year before the engine needed replaced. I'm especially interested in how the rear coilovers feel on the road...maybe a test drive at the shootout? ;) lol

I drove the car some more yesterday and my opinion remains the same the car out handles any car ive owned.

The shop that built those front coilovers asked for our front weights to help choose the rate, so I'm not sure what yours would be. I think I chose 400s for mine, but I could be mistaken. I've got 600s on the front of my car now.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?75376-Custom-QA1-Coil-Overs-D-amp-D-Race-Tech&highlight=coilover

One thing to consider with the SCP rear coilover kit is that it moves the spring slightly outboard of the original location. That's not a bad thing, but it means a slightly softer spring rate will give you the same wheel rate as a stock-style spring, but I haven't done any measurements to know exactly what the percentage would be.

The springs on my car seem to work really well will. The front actually seems a bit stiff in fact but I don't have any of the ac stuff I've got an aje sub frame and I pretty much removed any part that was alot of unused weight. I'm curios as to how much the car weighs.

Back