You can go home again

91 Titanium

I just bought the 89 Titanium 5-spd that FSTCOUP was selling. Had a great time driving it back from Tampa to Northern VA. This is a replacement for a 91 Titanium I bought new and drove for 10 years until the minivan came along. It feels good to be back in my SC. FSTCOUP did a great job with this car and I look forward to enjoying it for a long time.

Welcome! What a rush eh? Treat her well and she'll do the same. And enjoy zero property tax in the old Dominion!

VA safety inspection question

Thanks, guys. Yes, it feels good and the car is definitely a rush. I would love an opportunity to compare cars.

Quick question. One of the two reverse lights it out. I just verified it's not the bulb, so I'll have to take a look at the wiring. Do you think just one reverse light out will be enough to fail the VA safety inspection? I need to get it registered and was hoping to knock out the safety inspection when I get the emissions check.

As for the fix, it appears I have to take out the taillights to get at the wiring. I'm assuming if I can't find a 'break' near the socket to fix, I can just jumper from the other reverse light wiring. Anything obvious I'm missing? I've never really worked on cars, but I can tackle straightforward problems.

Thanks,
MP

Thanks, guys. Yes, it feels good and the car is definitely a rush. I would love an opportunity to compare cars.

Quick question. One of the two reverse lights it out. I just verified it's not the bulb, so I'll have to take a look at the wiring. Do you think just one reverse light out will be enough to fail the VA safety inspection? I need to get it registered and was hoping to knock out the safety inspection when I get the emissions check.

As for the fix, it appears I have to take out the taillights to get at the wiring. I'm assuming if I can't find a 'break' near the socket to fix, I can just jumper from the other reverse light wiring. Anything obvious I'm missing? I've never really worked on cars, but I can tackle straightforward problems.

Thanks,
MP

So the reverse light problem fixed itself after I re-installed the bulb sockets. Probably bad wire I can fix later.

Now I find the high beams don't work. Flash to pass works, but the forward position on the MFS doesn't bring on the high beams or the blue light on the dash. The guy at the inspection shop said that will fail so I'm holding off until I fix it. I found at least one thread on here that talks to it, I'll see what I can sort out.

Also, the inspection shop said I don't have to do the emissions test due to the cars age. That's not what I read on DMV website, but I'll look again. It would be nice to get the title transfer complete quickly without that test.

MP

Last edited:
So the reverse light problem fixed itself after I re-installed the bulb sockets. Probably bad wire I can fix later.

Now I find the high beams don't work. Flash to pass works, but the forward position on the MFS doesn't bring on the high beams or the blue light on the dash. The guy at the inspection shop said that will fail so I'm holding off until I fix it. I found at least one thread on here that talks to it, I'll see what I can sort out.

Also, the inspection shop said I don't have to do the emissions test due to the cars age. That's not what I read on DMV website, but I'll look again. It would be nice to get the title transfer complete quickly without that test.

MP

My '89 beater SC had the reverse light issue... however my inspector told me to remove the bulbs...told me it wasn't required to pass. Seems like every inspection shop is different in the Common Wealth. No emissions down here is SW VA either.

-Tim

Welcome to the forum!! Does it have the Auto-Dim option? HB did not work correctly on mine until sourced the missing rear view mirror sensor. Bet the headlight switch or connector too same is toast. Way too much current for the circuit. I'd start there.
Creighton

Last edited:
I verified no emissions test required since it's over 25 years old, so that's good and I can get the title transferred and plates on the car.

I'm going to replace the MFS as step one and a new part is on it's way, but I know the auto lights don't work. The auto dimming rearview mirror doesn't work, and I assume the auto dim sensor or switch doesn't work. So those will be next on the list. It doesn't look easy to get into the dash to replace the light switch, but I haven't looked closely yet.

Between this board and help from FSTCOUP who sold me the SC, I think I'll have things sorted soon. Whether I can do all the work myself is another story. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.

MP

Any questions just ask. The factory service manuals are a must have. Check fuses first but sounds like a bad main switch. Good deal on the no emissions. Same in WA. was easy to get title and tags. Insurance was a bit more because of no air bags.

If the rear window is tinted that can affect the operation of rear view auto-dim.

Creighton

Last edited:
I have a 92 parts car if you need the MFS (I believe you're referring to the turn signal assembly). It's a 5.0 that I'll eventually rob the engine out of for a project. Everything else will end up at a wreckers.

Any questions just ask. The factory service manuals are a must have. Check fuses first but sounds like a bad main switch. Good deal on the no emissions. Same in WA. was easy to get title and tags. Insurance was a bit more because of no air bags.

If the rear window is tinted that can affect the operation of rear view auto-dim.

Creighton

Creighton,

Thanks. I bought an EVTM off Ebay which should be here this week. I'll pick up a shop manual next. I think the fuses are good because flash to pass works, but I'll take a look.

Thanks,
MP

Back