Oil Pump Change

rickbtbird

I'm almost at 140K. I noticed that my oil pressure fluctuates more now then it has in the past. Is there a recommended maintenance interval for oil pumps? How many parts need to come off to get to it?

An oil pump is not easy to change. There are lots of things that have to be moved out of the way. Remember, your gauge is not a real gauge but an on/off indicator. Check the connection on the sensor. It's probably not making a good connection. slide the little plug up and down a few times.

Get all the dirt, baked on oil and grime off the engine around the pump, and its rather straight forward. About a 5 on a scale of 10. 90% of the difficulty is in just seeing what your doing. Still.. I'd check the connection at the oil sender first and/or replace it before jumping into a pump replacement.

I agree with the above poster who calls it a 5 out of 10 job. It's not incredibly difficult. I had mine off when I did my harmonic balancer.

It's not a bad oil pump. It's a bad sending unit. There is no service interval on the pump. If you don't ingest a bunch of trash they last more or less for ever (200k +). If they ingest trash, then you have bigger problems.

I noticed that my oil pressure fluctuates more now then it has in the past.

I agree w/the advice to sweeten the connection at the sender...make sure it's clean and tight, and then do an oil change just for grins. Yet another example of how the age of our SCs brings electrical gremlins to the surface.

Also as noted, the gauge is nothing more than an idiot light, so don't think there is a direct correlation between what you see and what you get when it comes to actual pressure.

Still no joy, do as Dave suggests and treat it to a new sender - still no joy, swap the gauge. Still no joy, swap the SC for a mule and shoot the mule.

Back